Netflix & Chillz

Exorcist creeps way to top of horror flick list

Jack Eyke, Entertainment Editor

Something about a good horror movie can really irk a person. Whether it’s unnerving tension, an insane plot twist, or a good ole jump scare, the great horror movies always tend to leave us feeling quite uncomfortable.

As Halloween approaches and the mood all around becomes a little bit darker and creepier, one can always count on a solid scary movie to get him or her into the Halloween spirit.

How can one find some of these movies? Netflix, of course. And if one doesn’t have an account, just mooch off of a friend’s. I’m sure they’d be willing to be generous.

Here’s my list of the top 5 horror movies available on Netflix right now.

Starting off at the bottom of the list is the late Wes Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), the tale of a group of teens stalked by a horrific man named Freddy Krueger who stalks and kills the kids through their dreams.

The thought of the terror of some dreams mixed with a severely burnt man chasing one with his knife-fingered glove is quite frightening. This film will make viewers afraid to fall asleep and is still a great movie to this day.

Fourth on the list is Stephen King’s Children of the Corn (1984). This movie focuses on a couple that comes across an abandoned town; however, they soon realize that all of the town’s adults have been killed.

The murders were a result of children following under the psychotic, radical rule of their leader. A strong tension develops as the couple go into town and the viewer knows someone is watching them. And because the children are murderous, it makes the familiar seem so horrifying.

Coming in next is another movie by Wes Craven, Scream (1996). This slasher film focuses on a teen’s terrorization by a serial killer. The movie’s killer sports a white, ghoulish mask that one may see among trick-or-treaters today.

What makes this movie so great is how it reanimated the slasher genre. It was something that wasn’t complete garbage, and this is true to this day.

Next on the list is the first found footage horror movie created: The Blair Witch Project (1999). A found footage movie has the point of view of a character’s camera(s) and is not shot in a traditional way. This film focuses on three students’ attempts to document the fabled Blair Witch.

A large amount of inner tension is built up as the three students venture deep into the woods where they find odd stick artifacts and figures hanging from trees. As uncanny events start to unfold, the viewer knows that he’s in for a good time.

The beauty of this movie is its found footage element. One of the first of its kind, this movie paved the way for many awful and terrible movies to come.

Finally, the No. 1 spot on this list belongs to The Exorcist (1973), the demonic story of the possession and exorcism of a young girl. A true horror classic, the movie’s visuals are insanely creepy.

The use of practical effects enhances the movie’s realism, and it is difficult to tell it was made in the ‘70s. The thought of possession is unnerving and horrific, and The Exorcist provokes this thought.
The Exorcist is a true horror classic and remains so to this day.

As the weather gets gloomier and the Halloween decorations begin to go up, make sure to check out these movies on Netflix.