Senior markets vintage clothing online

Senior Emily Fisher finds and sells vintage pieces through her shop on Etsy   for people interested in a trying a new style. (Chloe Grigsby)

Senior Emily Fisher finds and sells vintage pieces through her shop on Etsy for people interested in a trying a new style. (Chloe Grigsby)

Leyanna Jordan-Brown, Staff Writer

While many girls are off at the mall looking for clothes to fit the latest trend, senior Emily Fisher is browsing thrift stores looking to enhance her vintage style with a new find or a unique piece to add to her Etsy boutique.

“I kept noticing vintage pieces at thrift shops and knew I could be making money off of it,” Fisher said. “I developed a love for dressing vintage and wanted to share that with the world.”

Through the help of a friend, she started her Etsy shop in order to help other girls who may want to try out a new style or are having trouble finding the pieces themselves.

“I started my Etsy in the last week of school my junior year with the help of [senior] Lauren Wegner,” Fisher said. “I already had a collection of clothes that needed to find their true match.”

Fisher said her own style changes with her moods; however, she rarely strays far from paying homage to past decades.

“I would describe my personal style as vintage and modern,” Fisher said. “Some days, I might really be feeling the 1940s and other days modern clothes from the Gap sale rack.”

Fisher said people have had a variety of reactions to her choice of clothing, some positive and some negative; however, Fisher possesses confidence in spades.

“People usually in the 40s and up, primarily the elders, love my style,” Fisher said. “Lots of elderly people give me vintage clothes. People my own age range all over from loving it to hating it. Some people my age love it and thinks it’s cute and retro while others think second-hand clothes that were made 80 years ago are gross and out dated.”

This teen entrepreneur said she has had great success in her store but maintains that her goal is not money-oriented. Instead, she said she hopes to educate people on the beauty that vintage clothes have.

“My primary motivation is helping vintage clothes find their true match and spreading a love for it,” Fisher said. “I don’t want vintage clothing to die off. Clothes were so much better made then. Thrifting is also my stress reliever, so there are lots of benefits to my Etsy.”