Students should plan on going to college to further education

Caitlin McCombs, Editorial Editor

Thirteen years of school for nothing? If high school is preparing students for college, then all students should plan on going to college after they graduate high school.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 69.2 percent of 2015 high school graduates were enrolled in colleges or universities. Where do all of the other students go? They may get jobs or keep living with their parents, but how are they supposed to learn how to live on their own and create more opportunities for themselves?

Students should go to college after their high school career because it can develop more opportunities and help one mature. A higher education earns a higher reward; it allows one more options and expands one’s horizons on jobs.

Going to college after high school can increase a person’s chances of getting a better job and promotions.

It can teach students more about the field they want to go into and gives them a variety of careers to choose from.

No one can just go live on their own; they need guidance and practice. College provides this. Students live in dorms with other students and learn how to live without their parents. This enables them to be prepared to live on their own or even begin a family.

Once someone leaves behind high school he may lose friends and companions. However, in college, students make new friends and other connections that will be helpful when it’s time to get started in a career.

Those friends they make in college will help them get jobs, and these connections and networks will help them throughout their lives.

Attending college can create a better life even after one retires. This is because, according College Education Pro Con, 70 percent of college graduates had access to employer-provided health insurance compared to 50 percent of high school graduates in 2008. Seventy percent of college graduates 25 years old and older had access to retirement plans in 2008 compared to 65 percent of associate’s degree holders, 55 percent of high school graduates, and 30 percent of people who did not complete high school.

Although college can be expensive, it is one of the best investments anyone can make.
It opens people’s eyes to a whole new world of fields and careers that they didn’t even know existed and it may just catch one’s interest.