Music stimulates brain, boosts positivity

Olivia Watson, Entertainment Editor

Everyone has done it: had a rough day and put on headphones, letting an intense melody take over, feeling the words and notes enter the brain, becoming detached from the real world.

Before the person realizes it, he is not as tense or even upset as he was before.

There is a reason for this. Music works as a calming factor, appealing to the nerves and senses to form the pleasing reaction it gives.

Studies – like the University of Helsinki’s study of classical music’s effect on the genes responsible for producing pleasure – have shown that music is for so much more than just pure entertainment.

One’s favorite song is a favorite song for more reasons than people may realize; the lyrics, melodies and rhythms have the ability to reach people in ways that nothing and no one else can, and most don’t even realize it.

Many people, myself included, feel that music increases their level of productivity.

I have found that listening to music makes the agonizing time spent on homework go much faster, which in some way can be attributed to the added stimulation that music gives to one’s brain.

In addition to listening to music, a study conducted by the Royal Conservatory of Music found that people who play musical instruments or engage in music-making activities like choir are more likely to score higher on the ACT and SAT and have higher class scores as well as better verbal communication skills.

Many speech therapists and doctors alike can attribute a patient’s success in verbal communication and clarity skills to involvement in music.

I can be looked at as a prime example. When I was in elementary school, I had a bit of a lisp, making my speech rather unclear.

However, once I began to become involved in theatre and music, I found that the clarity of my speech was much improved.

Since music forces the brain to use many different areas of concentration, the stimulation is greater than that from other external stimuli, making it a more efficient method of vocal/speech development – even being used in stroke victims to help them begin to speak again.

On top of speech development, learning a musical instrument as a child increases the academic success and mental development of children as they get older.

Notably so, the mathematic scores of children who experienced music training were much higher in comparison to those who did not engage in musical activity – as found by Texas Woman’s University in their study of 5-year-olds over time.

Music also has the ability to change one’s mood, whether it be in a positive or negative way.

However, the most widely agreed upon wonders of music is its ability to spark feelings deep within one’s soul and bring together people of different backgrounds through a common understanding and appreciation of the art that is being created.

“(Music) brings together diverse groups of people, and (physicality) doesn’t matter; physicality doesn’t improve ability,” choir director Shawn Lawton said. “If you want to be an athlete, you have to be physically fit to get on a team or compete. Anybody can walk into the choir room. Music is certainly one of those things that can take you to a place where it can put you in a ridiculously good mood even if you weren’t.”

People find happiness in music. Even if they don’t understand how or why, music has the power to do what nothing else can – to reach deep inside and trigger an emotional response, whether it be positive or negative, and leave one feeling a deeper connection to oneself.