One student uses music as outlet for anxiety attacks

Kendahl MacLaren, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Although anxiety negatively affects her life, freshman Gabby Gerencer said she uses music as an outlet to find calmness and support.

“I listen to pop punk music. I really like Fallout Boy, Panic at the Disco, Twenty-one Pilots,” Gerencer said. “My mom is also really understanding. She has anxiety herself also, so it makes it easier.”

Gerencer was officially diagnosed with anxiety at the beginning of the 2016-17 school year. Anxiety is an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure according to the American Psychological Association.

“My mom is partially a counselor, and she knows a lot about this stuff. She has known for a while that I might have anxiety,” Gerencer said. “At the beginning of the year, I was having some problems, so she took me in, and I got properly diagnosed.”

Anxiety can cause accelerated heart rate, sweating, shaking, chest pain, or nausea, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Gerencer said these effects have made her physically sick.

“My anxiety has affected me in a way that it has stopped me from coming to school a couple times,” Gerencer said. “I’ve gotten physically sick from anxiety.”

Gerencer said she has a message for others dealing with symptoms similar to hers.

“I’d like to say that there are ways to help anxiety, and if you find someone who understands, talk to them about it because it’s great to just talk through it,” Gerencer said. “If you’re dealing with this, you can overcome it. You can get past this.”