Dating one’s best friend has pluses, minuses

Alexis Studabaker, Staff Writer

Dating a best friend can be tricky. When everything is going well, it is mentally and emotionally valuable, yet if it were ever to end, one risks losing two people in one – a best friend and, in my case, a boyfriend.

But being with a best friend is awesome in that one is able to be in sync with this other person. He becomes her personal therapist, motivator, and confidant.

She can tell him everything, and she can be his total crazy self without worrying about acne, having a hair out of place, or having a messy bedroom.

I have been dating my best friend since sophomore year. I remember in eighth grade I had a huge crush on him, but I did not have the courage to talk to him.

It was not until the end of sophomore year that we started talking in a Spanish class we were both in.
We were friends in the beginning, but the transition from friendship to being in a relationship was awkward and messy.

I had no expectations that it would turn into the strong, healthy relationship it is today.

We have almost nothing in common. I love watching movies, reading, and going shopping; he likes playing video games and board games and watching videos on YouTube.

Yet, we have been together for almost two years because we became each other’s best friend by trying out each other’s hobbies, asking the other for advice on countless occasions, and trying new things together that neither of us have done before.

Also, we make each other better.

He encourages me to try new foods because doing so terrifies me. I challenge him in return by making him turn off the Xbox and experience the real world.

We are not afraid to speak our minds to each other, and in my opinion, our communication skills are much stronger than most high school relationships because of it.

Although being with my best friend is amazing, it is not always sunshine and rainbows.

When a girl decides to date such an important part of her life, she runs the risk of making one person her whole world; and this is exactly what not to do. I have had experience with this in my own relationship.

When he is busy at work or doing family stuff, I sometimes feel like I have nobody to talk to or hang out with. When the two of us get into an argument, I am not able to talk to the person I want to talk to for advice because we are fighting.

And if for some reason we were to break up, I would lose not only my boyfriend but the person I tell everything and anything to – my best friend.

From prior personal experience, my warning is to not lose one’s self in the euphoria of feelings.

Stay interested in hobbies and sports; however, don’t be afraid to try new things and branch out to what he/she likes, too.

Keep other good friends close as well because it is vital to have balance within each other’s lives when in a relationship.

Overall, being in love with my best friend is one of the greatest experiences because it brings me even closer to one of the most important people in my life.

Regardless of whether one’s own best friend is also his significant other, remember this – the best relationships require balance, honesty, communication, and just a dash of laughter.