Muskegon Promise good for all

Caitlin McCombs, Editorial Editor

$6,466. That is how much the tuition for one year of college is minus room and board, according to collegetuitioncompare.com.

However, it is possible to cut this price in half. With the Muskegon Promise and by meeting its requirements, one can get two free years of college at Muskegon Community College and Baker College of Muskegon.

Requirements for this program include a 3.5 GPA or greater, a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), enrollment at either Muskegon Community College (MCC) or Baker College of

Muskegon, and residency in and attendance at a high school within the MAISD boundaries.

As a sophomore, I am just starting to look into colleges and thinking about my future. The Muskegon Promise is an opportunity I and my classmates should look into because of the many positives.

For example, parents don’t have to spend as much money, especially if they have multiple children. Also, students will have fewer student loans after they graduate college.

Another positive to exploring this option is being able to stay at home for those two years, which means no one will have to worry about the expenses of renting apartments or the costs of dorms. Along with staying at home, students will already know their way around, and it won’t take time getting used to.

Students with younger siblings, for example, me, will also get the chance to spend more time with them and other close family that lives in town. My younger sister, who is an important part in my life, will be a sophomore when I graduate, and if I choose the path of the Muskegon Promise, I can still live at home.

If one was to attend MCC, there is a good chance many of her classmates from high school will also be there, meaning she would have familiar faces in the hallways and in her classes.

Overall, there are many positives to applying for the Muskegon Promise, and one can get a lot out of it.
As I look into my future, the Muskegon Promise is one thing I have as an option.