Anything Goes musical is ‘bittersweet’ for seniors

Kailey Fellows, Staff Writer

Most students who performed in the musical Anything Goes, a complicated love story which takes place in the 1930s, agree that the show brought everyone together in an amazing way.

The interactions and teamwork necessary to create the show brought more than just many impressive performances. The musical was performed March 23-25 in the high school auditorium with ticket prices ranging from $10-$15.

Senior Gabe Fox, who played the role of Sir Evelyn Oakleigh, said he knows the comfortability and friendship that comes along with being in Allegros.

“Allegos is special because everyone becomes very close with each other, and you become comfortable with basically everyone in the cast,” he said. “Some of my closest friends were made through Allegros.”

The musical starts as friends, Reno Sweeney (senior Natalie Liegeois) and Billy Crocker (junior Jacob Rausch) are aboard a cruise ship, heading to England from New York. Also on board are two lovers, Hope Harcourt (junior Emma Nelson) and Sir Evelyn Oakleigh.

Aboard the ship, Billy tells his love for Hope to Reno. To help a friend out, Reno decides to seduce Sir Evelyn Oakleigh in hopes that Hope and Billy can be together. Along the way, there are many complications.

While many adjectives, ranging from fantastic to phenomenal, were said about the musical, Fox chose “bittersweet” as his word. Since this is his last year to perform in a Shores musical, he said he felt some sadness as the show came to a close.

“It’s bittersweet. On one hand, it’s good that I’m finally getting out of high school, but I’ll miss doing the shows because I won’t be able to do the shows in college,” he said. “It’s really fun to just mess around with friends and have a good time in Allegros.”

Fox isn’t the only senior who felt this way. Liegeois described similar feelings.

“I’m happy I can end on such a great note, but I’m also extremely sad that it is my last one,” she said. “This cast will always have a special place in my heart because we all grew so close.”

Liegeois also strongly encouraged outsiders to join Allegros and become a part of the family that they have built over the years.

“It’s really a different experience,” she said. “We’re all connecting through music because it’s our passion. Everyone’s talented, and we all create this bound.”

However, not only seniors enjoyed this musical. Rausch said he enjoyed both his character and the musical itself.

“I loved being my character. He is so suave — almost what I’ve always wanted to be in terms of cleverness and spontaneity. No matter what he does, he’s always still loved by everyone,” he said. “This one was definitely my favorite musical so far. At Shores, I’ve done Addams Family and Legally Blonde, and they were both amazing shows, but since I was a lot more involved in Anything Goes, I liked it a lot.”

For Fox and other seniors, this amazing show may have been their last, but Fox said it ended on a high note with such great people.

Anything Goes was my favorite performance so far. It was very fun and the songs were great,” he said. “I can honestly say it was one of the best casts we’ve ever had.”