Give it a Shot

Walking Dead best niche show out there

Jack Eyke, Entertainment Editor

While some are finishing up homework or getting to bed, I reserve my Sunday nights at nine for one show: AMC’s The Walking Dead.

As it rolls into its sixth season, The Walking Dead follows ex-sheriff’s deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his efforts for survival in a post-apocalyptic zombie filled world.

The show has a vast fan base with terrific ratings.

One thing that stands out about the show is the attention to detail in terms of the zombies presented.

Each episode has a lot of zombies, and the show’s makeup team makes these zombies look like the rotting, decaying corpses they’re acting as. This adds to the realism of the show.

One can see the fan base of The Walking Dead on Twitter on Sunday nights. Hundreds of thousands of people tweet about the show and often start trends on Twitter, which is not an easy feat. For example, after the season 5 mid-season finale, a major character died, and #RIPBeth became the No. 1 Twitter topic.

One reason The Walking Dead is so popular is the way it molds action, horror, and drama into one show.

Viewers will be able to see epic action sequences, scenes of zombies tearing people apart, and in-depth conflicts among characters in the same episode.

It is easy to become emotionally attached to characters, and once a viewer gets into the show, seeing those characters die is emotionally staking.

A great aspect of the show is the characters’ different reactions or opinions on certain issues. For example, one character may want to keep a prisoner alive, and another may want to kill that prisoner.

These beliefs may divide the living and create a conflict beyond that of the living versus the dead.

As the show has progressed, the main characters have realized what it takes to survive in the life-threatening world they live in. They must do things to survive that would have been unthinkable in their former lives.

The viewer often sides with certain characters’ decisions and this contributes to the popularity of the show.

I have been watching The Walking Dead since it first premiered in 2010 and fell in love with the show immediately.

The Walking Dead is proof that great television exists beyond those network channels that host an extreme amount of shows.