Check out these films for your back-to-school enjoyment

Olivia Watson, Entertainment Editor

Coming back to school after three months off is difficult. You’re used to having fun, staying out late and sleeping in. However, just giving yourself time to relax and think about everything ahead helps make it all easier; what better way to unwind than to watch some movies?

Here is a list of 10 films to help you relax and prepare yourself to take on the busy school year ahead.

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
If you’re looking for a laugh, what better to watch than the movie showcasing the most socially awkward teenager to possibly exist? Although Napoleon’s (Jon Heder) life is shown as, for lack of a better word, hilariously out of sorts, he’s still just an average high school student trying to find his way. Plus, who could deny themselves the pleasure of his dancing in this movie?

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
While some of us might dream of having outrageous adventures both in and outside of school, Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) does it. As much as truancy can stress someone, this movie is a classic, and a funny one at that. Think of it as — watching all the things you might wish you could do, but know you won’t because you’re more sensible than Ferris Bueller — or rather, living vicariously through him.

Mean Girls (2004)
It never hurts to have a refresher on how to act around others before getting back to the grind of the school year — and this movie, featuring Lindsay Lohan, definitely serves as a friendly reminder to us all of how not to treat our peers.

Legally Blonde (2001)
Sure, it takes place at a college… But what could possibly be more inspiring than watching Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) fight her way to the top of her law class and find out who she really is in the process? That’s what I thought.

High School Musical (2006)
On top of being an iconic movie franchise from most of our childhoods, High School Musical,starring Vanessa Hudgens, Zac Efron, Ashley Tisdale and Corbin Bleu, also tackles many real high school issues, such as surviving cliques, trying new things, and, in the final movie, venturing into the world of college. Plus, with the fourth High School Musical movie in the works, why not make a party of it and do them all at once?

Dead Poets Society (1989)
Not only does this movie show the importance and beauty of art, it uses the arts to display the intense pressure to perform that many teens find themselves having to deal with. Robin Williams’ character not only teaches his students how to understand and appreciate poetry and the arts but understand and appreciate who they are, no matter what their grades are.

Freaky Friday (2003)
If you think navigating high school is difficult, try doing it when you’re trapped inside your teenage daughter’s body. This movie, starring Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis, definitely goes down as a Disney classic, showing how difficult it is to have a complete understanding between parent and child but also showing some of the intense struggles high schoolers must deal with. However, most high schoolers don’t change bodies with their parents.

Clueless (1995)
As if this movie could be left out of the list. With its hilarious portrayal of cliques in high school and the over-dramatization of everyday teenage struggles, Clueless can definitely help make you feel at ease about going back to school, especially since the life of Cher (Alicia Silverstone) and her classmates is far more dramatic than what most would consider normal; so, what better way to put the forthcoming school year in perspective?

Grease (1978)
Whether or not you’re into musicals, you can’t deny that Grease, Starring John Travolta, and Olivia Newton-John, is a classic. The 50s bop music and blatant character decisions to go against the social norms of their cliques adds an interesting twist to an almost average portrayal of the life of teenagers. Plus, who can resist a good ole’ fashioned love story?

The Breakfast Club (1985)
Definitely a movie for the multitudes. One of the best things about this movie, featuring an all-star cast of Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, anthony Michael Hall and Ally Sheedy, is its showcasing of each high school stereotype and the connection you can make if you just look past the walls of the title someone is given. Someone else may be just as “normal” as you; you just have to look past the stereotype to see it. This is a lesson people seem to forget a lot these days.