Freshman enjoyed island life

Kaitlin Hermanson, Profiles Editor

Freshman Ava Bentley lived in Oahu, Hawaii, for six years from 2002 to 2008, before moving to Michigan to be closer to her father’s dad’s side of the family.

Though Michigan boasts its own beautiful coastline, it is vastly different than the Oahu beaches Bentley was raised on.

“In Hawaii, the sand is different, the waves are bigger, and the actual beaches themselves are smaller,” Bentley said. “In Oahu, there are a lot of small beaches, whereas here we have bigger ones, but fewer.”
Bentley’s favorite aspects about life in the Pacific was how personable the people are.

“Hawaii is very family oriented; everybody knows everybody,” Bentley said. “People are friendly and helpful to others. There’s rarely problems with anyone because everyone is so nice to each other.”

Michigan, however, also comes with its perks.

“It’s warm all year round in Hawaii, but we had shorter summer vacations,” Bently said. “What’s nice about Michigan is that we have the whole summer off, which I love.”

Saying goodbye was tough on their family because of how close they were with many family members and friends.

“It was very hard leaving Hawaii, because we had to leave our friends and family. After being around each other for so long, it definitely wasn’t an easy move to make.”

However, her family is fortunate enough to be able to stay in touch with their loved ones who still live on the island.

“I do return to Hawaii about once a year to visit family and friends,” Bently said. “I plan to visit there a lot in my future to keep seeing everybody out there whom I love.”

Bentley said that every year as her family leaves Hawaii to return to Michigan, the airport is filled with tears from both sides. As difficult as it was to say goodbye to everyone, Bently stated that it helped her grow in the long run.

“It made me able to adapt living in a different environment, new school, and making new friends,” Bentley said.

In addition to surfing, boogie boarding, and snorkeling, Bentley has many fond memories of her time on the island.

“My dad would come home from work and we would go to the beach to watch people’s weddings,” Bentley said. “You could find a wedding on the beach almost every day.”