Schoolwork overload is killing students

Madeline Eckerman, Editorial Editor

A day in the life of Madeline: I get up at 6 a.m. and prepare to go to school, which starts at 7:40 a.m.

Following seven hours of school, I go straight to JV volleyball from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. After those two, long, tiring hours of practice, I make my way to travel soccer practice from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

After I get home, I make my way to feed my starving body and shower off the sweat and dirt from my hours of hard work.

Finally, with all my activities for the night done, I look at the clock and see that it reads 9:30 p.m.

Now it’s time to make the decision: start my homework or go to bed.

My grades are a priority, so I pick up my pencil, open my Chromebook and start my homework. Sleep can wait till I am done.

Since teenagers are recommended to get about eight hours of sleep, that gives me 30 minutes to get my homework done to get enough sleep. But, because most teachers assign homework, the amount of homework can rack up hours of a student’s time at home. Meaning those eight hours of sleep rarely happen.

I just cannot finish hours of homework in time to still go to bed to get enough sleep. I stay up late and lose sleep so that my grades do not suffer. Trust me, I’m not the only student to face this problem.

Many students face the problem of too much homework causing them to get less sleep than they should.

Not to mention, when students do not get enough sleep, it can hurt their health and stunt brain development.

Staying up till the early hours of the morning, in the long run, is only going to hurt students. Schools put too much stress and importance on homework, and students’ health pays the consequences.

Most adults do not really realize how busy students are after school and how much homework they are responsible for accomplishing.

Teens are getting busier, and they should have less homework, not more. Teachers are oblivious to a teen’s life today and really how much different it is than their life as a teen.

Shores should try adopting a homework policy. Instead of most homework being due the day after it is assigned, students should get more time before turning it in. Homework should be due two or three days after it is assigned, giving students more time to work on it.

If students had more than one night to get homework done, they would get to finish their work when it best works for them. Not every student has the same schedule, and this way, on busy nights, students could push back their homework to the next day.

Turning in homework two or three days after assignments are handed out gives students more discretion on when they do their homework. With this method, students are going to get their homework done, without having to stay up late, trying to cram all their work into one night. This means more students would be more likely to finish all their work, which is better in the long run.

Some people may argue that if students have more time to do their work, they are going to wait till the last minute. I disagree. If Shores’ way of homework changed, students would use their extra time wisely.

Students would spend that time completing homework throughout those two or three days when it works for them, not procrastinate.

The way students are assigned homework needs to be changed. Students should have more than one night to get their work done. Let’s look at a new night in the life of Madeline. When my activities for the night are done and the clock strikes 9:30 p.m., I do some of my homework until maybe 10 p.m. or 10:30 p.m., and I head off to bed. Homework can wait, and I can get the rest I deserve.