Parking Lot Predicaments

Quotes compiled by Steffen Newman, Feature Editor

Several Shores students shared their parking lot experiences, both good and bad.

Ray Baker, Security Guard

“I’ve been working here since September of 2009. For the parking lot, I make sure that cars safely enter and exit the parking lot, as well as checking cars for parking passes. The most common things that I see are bad parking, backing into cars, and driving too fast. These problems can be attributed to two things. The first reason is the inexperience of drivers. A majority of students have been driving for a year or less, so things like this are expected. However, cell phones and other technology have posed another distraction for new drivers and make it that much easier to hit another car while not paying attention. As for parking, the winter can be tough. I’ve tried other things, but the most effective way to help students park when snow covers the lines is to set up traffic cones where the lines would be. It gives students an idea of where to park, but we occasionally still end up with some people who are boxed in. One of my stranger stories came on a day police came to Shores with drug dogs. The police officers were arriving to conduct the search, and at the same time the officers arrived, a car, one that didn’t belong to a student, was trying to leave. He was stopped and, as it turns out, he was only waiting to pick up a student after school. The unfortunate thing is that this particular person had some drug paraphernalia in his car, so he had picked the wrong day to pick someone up.”

Emma Veldhouse, senior

“Last year, I was getting ready to leave the Sailor Center parking lot. Bryce Stone and I backed into each other. Neither us was paying much attention. We didn’t stop to look at the damage after it happened, but his passenger door was dented and a piece of the back of my car fell off.”

Lauren Wozny, senior

“At lunch one day, Timmy Chick and I were backing up. We weren’t looking where we were going and hit each other. He ended up with a small mark on his car, and my tail light was cracked (it still works). I ended up covering the crack up with clear tape.”

Courtney Dunn, senior

“It was the end of the day, and I was leaving the Sailor Center parking lot. I was on the phone with my mom. Tyler Heethouse was in front of me, and I looked both ways and took my foot off the brake as he started inching forward. I thought he had left, and at that same time, I dropped my phone on the ground. My car suddenly jerked to a stop, and when I looked up, I had run into his car.”

Tyler Heethouse, junior

“I was leaving the Sailor Center at the end of day. I was at the stop sign and was inching forward to see around the corner. A car was coming from the left, so I stopped and was rear-ended. Courtney and I pulled over to the church (across the street from Shores) parking lot and waited for our parents to come. My dad was mad that it happened, but he got over it.”

Samara Hernandez, senior

“One day, I was on my way back from lunch, and while I was walking across the auditorium parking lot, I saw a (dead) squirrel lying on the ground. I thought to myself, ‘Aw, how sad,’ and walked closer to the squirrel. As I came closer to it, I realized some kid had taken a little note and a pencil and placed them in the squirrel’s paws. They had written the note in a way that made it look like it was the squirrel himself who had written it. The note read, ‘If you’re reading this, it’s too late,’ in reference to one of the rapper Drake’s album titles. I obviously thought it was sad, but I also found it oddly funny, as bad as that sounds. I took a picture of the squirrel, but I still don’t know who wrote the note.”