There is nothing better than a friend

Quotes compiled by Isaac Varela, Features Editor

One of the most important attributes of life is the friendships acquired and the memories made. It’s human nature to choose friends who are most similar to you, such as same age and same gender. However, some students at Shores go against the norm, finding that best friend whom most people would not typically find. These special people show how you can find friendships out of anyone or anything. Friendships do not have to occur based on age, religion, race, sex – or even species. Friends provide someone to talk to whenever you have issues and provide someone you can always count on. Having that special bond with someone can make four years of high school more valuable. A 2016 article by the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research states, “Good friends are good for your health. Friends prevent loneliness and give you a chance to offer needed companionship.” Friends can also increase your sense of belonging and purpose, boost your happiness and reduce stress, improve self-confidence and self-worth, encourage you to change or avoid unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as excessive drinking or lack of exercise, and provide support during bad times. One of the most important parts of life is the memories and friendships you have obtained instead of the ones you wanted to have. You shouldn’t be fearful when proclaiming your best friends if they are not similar to you. You should be proud of best friends because you shouldn’t care what others think. Your own happiness is the key to complete happiness because once you are happy with yourself, then you make everyone around you more happy too.

FATHER & DAUGHTER

Emma Tilden, sophomore
“My dad works a lot, so I don’t always get to see him all the time. So my favorite part of spending time with him is late nights when he’ll come home from work and I get to have in depth talks with him not about just our days but about life and how we are feeling lately. My dad is my role model, and he gives me advice whenever I’m struggling or need help, so I feel like that’s why we are so close and why I consider him one of my best friends because I can tell him anything. A lot of teenagers can’t tell their dads everything. They don’t feel comfortable, but what’s different with me and my dad is I can tell him anything and I’m not being judged or I’m not being punished.”

Bob Tilden, her father
“Emma has taught me that you can be gritty and compassionate at the same time. She is one of my favorite people to talk to because while in conversation with her, it is evident that she knows how to be respectful of others. She has a great gift of getting her opinion across without offending others. While together in scary or uncomfortable situations, we use humor and calmness to get us through it. Since Emma is my daughter, she is more than a best friend. Watching her grow is one of the best experiences of my life. The most memorable experiences would be sitting around the table early in the morning and hearing some of her real feelings. She is not much of a morning person. My favorite thing about Emma is that she has the gift of making everyone feel good while being around her. If it is not her smile, it is her caring expressions. At the same time she is extremely intelligent and tough.”

NEPHEW & AUNT

Isaac Towers, sophomore
“I really enjoy the fact that my aunt (Joan)never really matured past the high school stage, but she’s able to just be able to go pretty much anywhere. We’ve had it where at midnight I will dial her up in Fremont and be like, ‘Hey, want to go get Taco Bell?’ And she’d be like, ‘Absolutely!’ So it’s really just fun because it’s like having a parent that understands what being a teacher is mostly like nowadays, because she never really grew up, it’s sorta like a Peter Pan kind of thing. It’s amazing. We got the dirty teenage humor that we both love so much. It’s like watching a marathon of Family Guy with your grandma, but your grandma is cool. We were doing this thing called ‘yoga on the ship’ in Muskegon, and she knew I’m not one for yoga, mostly because I’m not bendable – I’m round; you don’t bend circles. So she picks me up from my grandma’s house, and she says, ‘Listen Isaac, you go to yoga with me’ because you needed two people to get in that day. ‘You go to yoga with me, and I will take you out to your favorite three restaurants.’ So basically, we went to yoga for half an hour, my aunt Jo looked over at me because the instructor was pretty much terrible, and she was like ‘Let’s get out of here.’ So we went off and ate at three different restaurants and just gorged on wings and ribs the entire night. It was amazing.”

GIRL & DOG

Emily Mann, freshman
“I love it when we have car rides and the dog [Phoebe, whose owner is freshman Sebastian Barnett] is in the car with me, and we are just cuddling, and it’s licking my hands and my face and stuff. Also, (I like) when we watch movies and TV shows and the dog is just cuddling with me on the couch. My favorite is petting Phoebe but mostly just to cuddle with her. All dogs love me, but what’s special about this dog is that I personally know this dog, and I have a special connection with this dog. We have a special bond. I love how I actually get to see it rather than just looking at photos of dogs. Phoebe is a mix, but is part Labrador and is black. A special event I shared with Phoebe is when I went to Bon Voyage. Instead of having a normal date, I brought Phoebe instead. We took pictures at the beach and had a wonderful time.”

TWIN SISTERS

Grace Piasecki, freshman
“We play basketball together and bond over basketball a lot. We bond over everything. My sister is always there for me and she is funny. We do everything together but my favorite thing to do is when we take pictures together. We also both share the same group of friends and she has had a good impact on my life. I enjoy my sister and she affected my in a positive way because she is always there for me.”

Emma Piasecki, freshman
“We go to the beach a lot and connect on a different level than most people because we know how each other is feeling even if the other person doesn’t don’t tell you. It’s kinda rare. It’s Twin ESP. We can read each other’s minds. I can trust her more because we are family.”