After life as Sailors, three become Warriors

Megan Swanker, Sports Editor

For Logan Smith, a 2014 Shores graduate, playing football at Wayne State University is about making memories.

And when two of his former teammates from Shores also joined the WSU football program, those memories became reality.

“The best thing about playing with former teammates is how close we are,” said Smith, who is joined on the Warriors by DeOntay Moffett (2015) and Darece Roberson (2016). “We get to talk about memories from Shores and continue to make memories at Wayne State. Playing football with other Shores teammates is a cool experience. It’s awesome that I get to play ball with my brothers I battled with in high school.”

Smith, who said he has known Moffett since middle school and Roberson since he came to Shores for high school, added that having three players from one high school on the same Div. 2 football team is a dream come true.

“This is proof that Shores and Coach (Matt) Koziak does a great job getting their athletes exposure to college coaches/programs,” said Smith, a wide receiver, who has caught six passes for 49 yards this year.

“Mona Shores is a top-notch program.”
Moffett, a 2015 Shores graduate, said that playing with teammates from the past makes it fun.

“The easiest part about playing together again is we all know that we got each other’s back through whatever,” said Moffett, a running back who has carried the ball 26 times for 130 yards this year.

For Moffett, knowing that his brothers have his back is the best thing about playing football with them again.

“It’s an awesome feeling playing the game with my brothers that I became close with from high school,” Moffett said. “The best thing (about playing with former teammates) is the bond we all have together.”

Playing with passion is one piece of advice Moffett has for others who are interested in playing a sport at the college level.

“The No. 1 tip I would give is work very hard and have love and passion for whatever sport you want to make it to the next level with,” Moffett said.

Roberson, a 2016 Shores graduate, plays wide receiver and has caught 12 passes for 156 yards.

Roberson is the only one of the three who has scored a touchdown in his career. He scored in the season-opening 28-3 win over Northwood University.

While the three of them have moved beyond the walls of Shores, their bond is still strong.

“The easiest part is that we already know each other’s tendencies and how to play together,” Smith said. “I don’t find any difficulties; we get along great.”