First-person shooter games dominate

Kailey Fellows, Staff Writer

Junior Nick Davis knows the gaming world all too well.

He’s one of the many who participate in playing first-person shooter (FPS) video games, which are computer or console games where the player has a first-person view of everything and has control of their world.

Davis said he started playing video games at the age of 6 after his father helped him build a personal computer.

“I love first-person shooter games because they give you control of the world inside the game” Davis said. “They’re super strategic and fun.”

But Davis is just one of many Shores students who play FPS games. In a Sailors’ Log survey of 266 students, 124 said they play FPS games. In the same survey, players said the most popular FPS games are Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Rainbow Six Siege.

Junior Taylor O’Donnell said she enjoys playing Battlefield 4 and Grand Theft Auto 5 when she has time.

“Sometimes, you need to let your anger out in a positive and healthy way,” she said. “Video games make that possible.”

Ever since the first FPS game (Wolfenstein in 1992) was released, there has been controversy surrounding the violence present within them. Many argue that the games that focus on killing and robbing banks is negatively affecting teens, but sophomore Noah Kinnucan is confident that it depends on the teen.

“It depends on the person you are. If you are playing for fun or in your free time, it will most likely have a positive effect,” Kinnucan said. “If you are a naturally violent person with a not-so-good home life, then it probably isn’t the best idea.”

FPS games and even other games allow students to get away from school and everyday stress. It gives a competitive drive as well. Whether it’s getting to the top rank or unlocking a new player, a rewarding feeling comes as a bonus with gaming.

Junior Sylvester Anthony knows competition all too well.

“Competitive Call of Duty provides me with a needed challenge” he said. “It keeps me on my toes.”

Davis, who has won more than a $100 playing in tournaments, said he plays just about every genre of game from FPS games to games about soccer. He said he likes to play a variety of games to keep things interesting.

“My favorite first-person shooter game is probably Rainbow Six Siege because it requires team play and strategy,” said Davis. “My favorite game out of all the genres is currently Rocket League because it’s interactive.”

Davis is a member of The National Honors Society, so he understands the pressures of school. He also plays multiple sports including tennis and baseball. He admits that video games can help to escape some of these stresses.

“They’re just fun,” Davis said. “I get to forget about anything that went wrong that day. I’ve never once had a bad day playing video games.”