Variety abound in local establishments

Kendahl MacLaren, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Supporting local businesses is a huge factor in helping a community thrive.

In downtown Muskegon, a plethora of restaurants and stores line the streets. In particular, Curry Kitchen, located at 1141 3rd St., is enjoyed by many students, including junior Anna Tardani.

“(Curry Kitchen) always has Indian music and movies playing, and the food itself is to die for,” Tardani said. “I like how fast the service is and how cultural it feels. It makes a great place to go on dates without spending an arm and a leg to eat.”

However, if one is feeling more patriotic, US 31 BBQ, located at 151 W Muskegon Ave., is an All-American BBQ that has been around for five family generations since 1939.

“US 31 BBQ is unique because they have their own secret recipe sauce that they put on their BBQ’s so they taste different, and, in my opinion, better, than everywhere else,” senior Madison Smith said. “My favorite part about US 31 BBQ, besides the food, is the vibe. It has a very ‘feel-at-home’ atmosphere, and the people are so genuine and sweet. It is a very old building, and the set up inside is vintage.”

After grabbing a bite to eat, students can head over to Third Coast Vinyl, located at 1115 3rd St., to buy their favorite new and old records.

“Third Coast Vinyl is one of my favorite places ever, and I go in there at least once a week,” senior Serena Schultz said. “I go in there so much that the owner Paul actually offered me a job, and I’ll be working there in early spring.”

Feeling at home in a store is why local businesses are unique and special, which Schultz said is one of her favorite things about Third Coast Vinyl.

“The thing that makes Third Coast Vinyl so unique is the atmosphere and vibe the place gives off,” Schultz said. “It is a small space, but it’s very cozy and inviting. I feel safe and welcome when I’m in there. I never leave there empty-handed, and I find something new every week. If an album catches my eye, I’ll most likely listen to it on Spotify and then buy it at Third Coast if I enjoyed it.”

The thing that makes shopping local unbeatable are the people who own and work there.

“Honestly, my favorite thing about Third Coast is Paul (the owner),” Schultz said. “He is a very down-to-earth person, and he was once an English teacher. I could be in there for hours just talking with him about music, books, or just how the world works. If I’m having a bad day, I’ll go in there because I always leave in a good mood. I also have an addiction to buying music, so it’s nice to be able to feed that addiction while keeping my money in Muskegon.”