Post Spring Break in Michigan

Tim Schneider, Staff Writer

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. No, it’s not Christmas. No it’s not summer. And no it’s not Halloween. It’s finally springtime in Michigan, and it brings two beautiful things to the state: people wearing shorts in 50-degree weather and Spring Break.

Spring Break has been a long-celebrated tradition among high schoolers across the nation, but it is especially refreshing to Michiganders.

Around last few weeks of March and the first few of April, things can get pretty messy. It snows randomly, and the highs and lows on the 10-day forecast range from 30 degrees to 70 degrees.

So Spring Break often acts as a saving grace for most who live here. After returning though, most people can’t find anything to do. What they don’t understand is there’s stuff to do all around in the state.

Here are some incredibly fun things to do with friends and family now that winter’s over.

Many forget that people travel from across the nation to Michigan for one little park: Michigan’s Adventure. The ex-petting zoo has become an icon everywhere because of its critically acclaimed roller coaster Shivering Timbers.

“The whole day at the park I was terrified of going on the ride Shivering Timbers because I’m deathly afraid of heights. I had to wait for like an hour in line, but halfway through the ride, I realized the adrenaline rush was well worth it and I forgot about my fear of heights,” sophomore Kai Metcalf said.

The 125-foot coaster is sure to thrill with a top speed of 65 mph. If roller coasters aren’t your thing, they also offer a water park. The water park features a widely popular lazy river where one can float peacefully along with family and friends for hours. The water park also includes the Funnel of Fear, which is literally a funnel of water one shoots down blazingly fast.

“I don’t really like roller coasters that much because of my fear of heights, so the water park really made my day the most fun,” Metcalf said.

Both parks at Michigan’s Adventure are sure to fulfill everyone’s theme park needs. The park opens May 24.

This next place, to most people, tops all other though. It’s open year round. Requires no money to visit. And is so popular that some states seek to name it their own. What is it? Lake Michigan.

“I love to to watch the sunsets on lake michigan because they really make me feel connected to the place I grew up,” sophomore River Schott said.

People from all over the world come here to visit the small freshwater ocean we live nextdoor to. While the lake often stays cold, it is refreshing to take a dip on a hot summer day.

It can get windy down there too to keep one cool if tanning is preferred. And if swimming isn’t your thing, the lake is like with dunes home to beautiful forests. You can roam around them for hours hiking or geocaching. If you’d prefer to relax though, you could always set up a hammock and crack a book or take a nap. Whatever you fancy, Lake Michigan is the spot that will always be there for you.

Schott said, “It’s been a family tradition of mine to go picnic at the beach as much as possible during the summer because it’s a great way to spend time together.”

So while the beginnings of Spring Break is a great escape from the transition between winter and spring, there’s nothing we can do to bring it back. Whether you’re looking for an action packed day of fun at Michigan’s Adventure or a relaxing day at the beach on lake michigan, it can be found right here in Michigan.

Next time you’re bored and wishing you could ditch Michigan, it’s like Schott says, “My favorite vacation is a staycation right here in Michigan.”

https://www.miadventure.com/