Principal cherishes moments with her children in building

Principal Jennifer Bustard said she enjoys having her twin children in the building. Her son Blake and her daughter Brenna are sophomores. (Courtesy photos)

Sammie Ladegast, Staff Writer

While most refer to the principal of Shores as Ms. Bustard, sophomore twins Brenna and Blake call her “mom.”

Brenna said she and her mom share a “special unique bond. Not every kid can say that they go to school with their mom every day.”

For Blake, watching his mom interact with students everyday and having her be the principal are things he said he couldn’t imagine his high school career without.

“She’s very passionate about her job and puts everything she has into it,” Blake said. “I absolutely love having her as a principal.”

Bustard said she is lucky to be able to see her children throughout her work day.

“Not too many people can say that they can be there for their kids when they need something like snacks, food, money, or encouragement,” she said. “It is fun to connect with them after a big test or speech and give them a high five. (I also love to) see them interacting with their friends and having a great day.”

Both children also have a favorite thing about mom being in the building.

Brenna said, “My favorite part about having my mom as a principal is just her presence. My mom is my best friend, and taking on high school with her is very special to me.”

Blake said, “My favorite part is how she helps me with which classes to take and how she challenges me to be a better person everyday.”

However, negatives exist with having their mom as principal.

“Some people put stereotypes on me and think that just because my mom is the principal, I get my way on a lot of things at the school; I really don’t believe in that,” Brenna said. “I just happen to go to the school that my mom works at.”

Blake said his least favorite part about seeing his mom daily is “when she gets all ‘mom’ on me and wants to hug me in the hallway.”

However, Blake said he wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I prefer to have my mom as the principal because she is amazing at her job,” Blake said. “She is good with all of the kids, not just me, and the staff as well.”

Brenna, who started out her high school career on crutches, coming out of a knee surgery, said having her mom with her at school was extremely beneficial.

“Coming into the school as a freshman last year, I was nervous about having my mom as the principal,” Brenna said, “but I would rather have her as my principal, no doubt. I remember that I could always go to her if I needed help in the hallways getting to and from classes or if I needed some support.”

Although she appreciates getting to continue her mom duties while at work, Bustard still has responsibilities as the principal. She frequently visits classrooms to observe the teaching and learning, and, sometimes, she happens to visit a class one of her children is in.

“Blake does not like it when I am visiting classrooms and I happen to attend the room he is in,” she said. “His buds always give him a hard time that his mom is in the room. He forgets that this is part of job and thinks I am checking up on him.”

Brenna said she appreciates being able to spend her remaining years side by side with her mom each day.

“People (don’t) realize how precious time is,” Brenna said. “I only have three more years until I go to college, so I’m blessed to spend my last years with my mom.”