Lacrosse to be added to athletics in the spring for both genders

Carlie McNiff, Sports Editor

Lacrosse will be a new program at Shores that will be played at both the middle and high school levels during the spring for both boys and girls.

“Lacrosse has been rapidly spreading from the East Coast throughout America,” athletic director Ryan Portenga said.

“Many of Mona Shores’ students are playing lacrosse for other schools and regional clubs and are now asking for a
school team to be started.”

Like other student activities at Shores, lacrosse will benefit students.

“Any student activity acts as an extension of the classroom, and lacrosse is no different,” Portenga said. “Participants will be able to enjoy a sport, apply traits like discipline, teamwork, and time management to their experience as a student while having fun with their schoolmates in the process.”

Shores will be cooperating with Muskegon Catholic Central, West Michigan Christian, and Fruitport at the middle and high school levels.

“We chose (those schools) due to the fact that we are geographically close and located on the ‘southside’ of town,” Portenga said.

One concern was current spring sports losing players.

“Due to the fact that we are cooperating with other schools at both the middle and high school levels, only a handful of student-athletes are going to ‘make’ the team,” Portenga said. “My administrative colleagues at Catholic Central,

Fruitport, and West Michigan Christian agree that spring sports will be fine despite the presence of lacrosse.”

There are currently no coaches for the lacrosse program. The hiring process will hopefully be completed by October.

“I am extremely excited to offer lacrosse as a sport at both the middle and high school levels,” Portenga said. “It will bring about another competitive opportunity for students desiring to play such an incredible game.