Guns in America

Christopher Horvath, Staff Writer

Guns in America. A debate that has been going on for years now in our country.

The Second Amendment states “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Enumerated in the Constitution, it clearly states that the people of the United States of America have the right to keep and bear arms, or in other words, the people have the right to have guns and keep them.

People constantly are arguing that this amendment to the constitution is “out of style” or shouldn’t be kept in the Constitution any longer and should be repealed.

My one question to those people, are you out of your mind?

There are far too many positives that guns bring to society, and even the people who claim they are “anti-gun” are not “anti gun.”

To the people who live in the United States who dislike, hate, or even despises guns, I ask them one simple question, why? When I asked my cousin Sarah, who considers herself “anti-gun,” this question, she said, “There are too many murders that happen with guns or too many mass shootings.”

I then asked her, Do guns kill people, or do people kill people?

Her response: “There needs to be more restrictions on guns to keep them out of the hands of bad people.”

To this day, I sit here wondering, why does Chicago have the most strict gun laws in the country have the highest number of murders in the country? It makes absolutely zero sense.

Tied to having guns in America leads us to having guns in schools.

Shores, the high school I attend, now has a police officer on site for the entire day that school is in session before 7:40 a.m. when school starts until after 2:50 p.m. when school ends.

Some may think that having a police officer at a high school is far too extreme, unsafe, and makes students feel uncomfortable. I do understand the part about students feeling uncomfortable but definitely NOT being too extreme or unsafe.

After all, had a police officer been at Sandy Hook Elementary School on that chilly, Dec. 14, 2012 day, people would’ve died, but not near the amount that did. Instead of having a police officer or just someone with a gun there to help and protect them, they called and waited 9 minutes for someone with a gun to get there and protect them. Lives were lost in those 9 minutes.

We, as Americans, need guns to protect ourselves in this world, and need police officers or a trusted individual with a gun in our schools 24/7.