Honors students need grade bump

Meghan Adams, Staff writer

Biting my nails from nerves, I receive my Honors English final exam back, only to see that I received a C, meaning my final grade is now a B.

There goes my perfect 4.0 GPA.

Meanwhile, a friend, who had taken general English, aces the test, and ends up with a 4.0. While my friend easily passed and was rewarded, I am left punished for wanting to push myself.

How is this fair to Honors students? This is why I feel all Honors classes should be counted as one-third of a grade bump. For example, if a student were to end an Honors class with a B+, this would be bumped to an A-. This would help many students, like myself, when the end of the tri comes and the GPA is at stake.

As an Honors and AP student, along with many of my friends, I noticed that the workload, tests, and quizzes for Honors classes were equal, many times, in difficulty to AP tests, quizzes, and homework. And students in AP classes have the benefit of a raise of one full grade. For example, a B becomes an A.

An AP class requires students to think about the topic and go into depth about it, and Honors classes do the exact thing. For example, in Honors Biology, I had to know which way the blood from the heart flowed, what tubes it went through, and when it went through. If that’s not in depth, I don’t know what is.

While many general students are passing the class with flying colors and getting high GPAs, Honors students like me, who may have struggled for a portion of the class, receive B’s and maybe even lower, and end up with a lower GPA.

Now, I am not knocking students who take regular classes. That, obviously, is their choice. I just think those of us who want to be challenged more should benefit from the rigor.

When I push myself, I expect to be rewarded in some way; as social studies teacher Steve Morell says, “Fortune favors the bold.”

If this is true, why am I not given something in return for going out of my way to challenge myself? Along with many other Honors and AP students, I feel this should be a change our school should make.

And make it happen quickly; my nails can’t take much more.