Charity basketball game raises funds for Child Abuse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athletic director Ryan Portenga (in red) defends a team member of the West Michigan Flight Squad at the charity basketball fundraiser held at MSHS sailor center on Sunday, October 1. (courtesy photo Madeline Eckerman)

Madeline Eckerman, Center Section Editor

What’s better than an exciting basketball game? What about an exciting basketball game that benefits the community.
On Sunday, Oct. 1, some of Shores’ administrators came together to take on the West Michigan Flight Squad in a game that people of all ages could enjoy, and the best part of the game was the cause behind it.

All of the profits from the 4 p.m. contest, which took place in the Sailor Center, will be donated to the Child’s Abuse Council.

“It goes toward a great cause (Child Abuse Council), and what is amazing is that all the profits will be going toward students in our community,” said Churchill Elementary Principal Lowell Whitaker, who helped organize the event.

The Child Abuse Council does numerous things to benefit students in the community like supporting housing, providing places to live, and supplying food and clothing for students.

Brittany Dorsey, the coach and a player for the Flight Hawks, is also a strong supporter for the council and what it does for our community.

She said, “I think the council is amazing. Kids are the most important part of society, so being able to come here and benefit them is so amazing.”

The Flight Hawks, a traveling basketball team based out of Los Angeles, focus on playing at fundraising events.

“We do a lot a traveling to play at fundraising games,” said Dorsey, whose team won the game 66-61. “It’s great to come back every year and give back to the community.”

The game featured administrators from across Shores School District, including middle school principal Doug Ammeraal, middle school assistant principals Scott Panozzo and Kyle Manning, as well as the high school’s athletic director Ryan Portenga.

“There are so many ways to serve in the community, and this is just one fraction of a way to give back,” Portenga said.