Scheuerle’s adopt ‘hurricane’ dog

The Scheuerle family, which includes Sophie (a junior) and Bobby (a freshman)adopted a dog, which they named Penny, from Hurricane Harvey through The Noah Project.

Taylor Dew, Staff writer

The Scheuerle family was ecstatic when they heard that there were animals being flown to Muskegon from Hurricane Harvey.

“We saw on a Facebook ad that The Noah Project had received rescue dogs from the disaster down south, and my mom knew that was the path that we wanted to go down,” junior Sophie Scheuerle said. “We wanted to help animals that came from a bad place.”

Immediately, the family knew they needed another dog, and since there were some rescued from the hurricane, this was the perfect opportunity for them to add on to their family.

“We had a cat that we fostered for my uncle, and we eventually passed it back to him,” freshman Bobby Scheuerle said.

“We then thought that having another pet wasn’t much of a hassle, so we knew we wanted to get another dog.”

The family knew that they were only looking to adopt and did not want to buy a dog from a breeder or a store. Hearing that the flight was coming in was only a pushing point for them to adopt.

“We were pretty dead set on adopting because we have gotten all of our pets from shelters, and it makes all of us feel better to know that we are helping them out,” Bobby said.

The Scheureles already had two cats (Sasha and Starbuck) and a dog named Trooper. Both Sophie and Bobby were said they were excited for Trooper to have another friend around the house.

Once they visited The Noah Project, 5205 Airline Road, two dogs caught their eyes; however, one (a beagle mix) stood out because Sophie said she had a better interaction with that one, and because of the copper color of her spots, they ultimately decided to call the new dog Penny.

“I was most excited for Trooper because for so long, he has only been able to play with the cats, and now that Penny is finally here, he has someone to play with that is on his level,” Bobby said.

Overall, the Scheuerle family has found a perfect match from The Noah Project, and they are all glad they went about adding another dog to the family in this way.

Altogether, The Noah Project received two flights of cats and dogs from Louisiana on Sept. 3 with 32 animals total. With 15 already at the shelter, The Noah Project was holding more than 40 animals in their small shelter.
Luckily, with all of the publicity and posts going around about The Noah Project receiving animals, the facility was overwhelmed with applications. More than 100 applications were filed from families wanting to rescue the animals.

“There was a lengthy application process that my family went through to help ensure that the dog would be very well cared for once adopted,” Sophie said.

Jessica Lohman, manager of The Noah Project, said each family has to go through a process before adoption.

To start the process, the family comes in and walks through the shelter. While they are with the animals, they write down what animals caught their eyes.

After the workers have looked over the applications, someone from The Noah Project will call the family to come and meet with the animal to make sure that the chemistry between the two is good.

If the animal is ready to go and the workers are confident with the applicant, the new owners can take their animal home right then and there.

This is exactly how the Scheuerles ended up with Penny.

And now, Sophie and Bobby said everyone (except for the cats) in their family is thoroughly enjoying Penny.

“(Penny) was so new to the shelter that they never got to test her with her cat compatibility so that is the biggest problem that we have been facing with her,” Sophie said.

Although the cats have not had the chance to warm up to Penny, the rest of the family loves her and how she interacts with everyone, including Trooper.

“Trooper was a bit scared of her at first just because she was trying to play with him right away, but over a short time, they became best friends and are practically inseparable,” Bobby said.