Senior captain leads team

senior Adele Cory (Emma Taylor)

senior Adele Cory (Emma Taylor)

senior Adele Cory (Emma Taylor)

Carlie McNiff, Sports Editor

Senior Adele Cory began running cross country in seventh grade because she wanted to try it out, and now, she is the top girls’ runner for Shores’ varsity cross country team.

“I love how it makes me feel when I’m going for a good run,” said Cory, who will lead the Sailors into today’s City meet at University Park. “Running gets my endorphins going, and that helps me feel better. When I am depressed, I can go for a run, and I am usually refreshed and happier at the end.”

Cory, the No. 1 runner for the girls’ team, has been running well this fall. At nine of the 10 meets (as of Oct. 6), Cory has led the Sailors, including cruising to a 53-second win at the season-opening Hesperia Invitational and a victory at the Fruitport Invitational.

She has placed in the top 10 overall at all of this season’s meets except two.

“My goal is to first break 20 and then try to get down to 19:30 or low 19’s,” Cory said. “I also want to get All-Conference this year because I have just missed out and gotten honorable mention the past two years. My goal that I want for the team is to win the conference meet like we did my first year in XC.”

Cory also credits her teammates for her success.

“My team is like my family,” Cory said. “We are all weird in our own ways. We accept each other, and since cross country as a sport accepts everyone in general because there are no tryouts or chances for favoritism on who makes the team, you get to meet a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds.”

Senior teammate Peyton Erndteman admires Cory’s leadership skills as a captain.

“Adele is super hard working and nice,” Erndteman said. “She is close to the runners on the boys’ team, so that helps bring our two teams together. She is a great captain because she always asks people to work hard.”
Cory’s coaches, including head coach Katie Jazwinski, play a key role in helping her improve and be the best runner she can be.

“Over the last year, she has done a lot of little things to help her to improve, one being winter running,” Jazwinski said. “(Boys’ coach Bob Jazwinski) and I continue to encourage her to focus on the positives and let the negative thoughts and factors drift away. When she turns off her brain and runs with her heart, she always shows improvement.”

Cory’s admirable qualities as a captain and person will aid to both her and the team for the rest of their season.

“Adele is a leader at heart,” Jazwinski said. “She has determination to improve no matter what the conditions. She is hard on herself which makes her even better for the next practice or meet and sets high goals.”