Rasict costume is intolerable

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rasict costume is intolerable

Morgan Cathey, Editorial Editor

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; some people just do not know how to act. In the past, I’ve been told not to write too much or talk too much about racism because some people just don’t care and don’t want to hear it.

I would like to think that people would care about such a serious topic, but since they don’t, I’ve come to realize that I have to talk about it.

On Halloween, a white student from Shores went trick-or-treat wearing a dreadlocks wig and blackface. To him, this was all fun and games; to me, this is beyond serious.

Throughout my life, I’ve heard many slurs, I’ve seen many slights of injustice, and I’ve learned about enormous injustices. One thing I’ve never seen, blackface.

Over time, I have learned about actors of the past doing blackface. Other times, I’ve seen people doing blackface in both stories and other outlets, such as movies or TV shows.

In all honesty, I talk about blackface and how I would not support or even tolerate it, but I really didn’t expect to actually see it on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017.

But I did.

I did and so did many other students. The blackface wasn’t even something hidden. It wasn’t something I just happened to stumble upon; it was posted and laughed about on the social media of many of the student’s friends.

If this doesn’t anger you, your morals are twisted.

We have a school that has some students who take part in black face while we have others who have no idea racism is still real. Shores in all its entirety, staff and students, needs to get its head in the game and get on top of this.

It may seem that this issue only falls on the shoulders of one student and his poor decisions, but every student who was there with him and who said nothing contribute to the problem.

For a school that consistently preaches BE NICE, wouldn’t it “be nice” if they could be nice to all their students and treat them equally and with the same amount of respect?

If students and staff got together and simply stopped injustices like this when they saw it, maybe it wouldn’t be such a big issue.

Looking at the school’s “Bullying/Harassment/Sexual Harassment/Hazing” section of the handbook, I see it is clear these policies are general and glaze over many things.

In the handbook, it says, “Harassment is defined as any form of written, oral or electronic innuendoes, comments, jokes, insults, threats, or disparaging remarks concerning a person’s gender, national origin, religious beliefs, racial, physical characteristics, etc., toward a fellow student, staff member, or other person associated with the District.”

The way that the school handles things, like cyber bullying, should help students deal with a large thing like this. When someone is bullied online, the school treats it as a form of harassment despite the fact that it happened off of school property, and so they should treat the blackface, a form of racial joke, as such.

A show of standing against racism is a giant step with not a lot of effort behind it. Simply condemning this student’s actions would be enough.