Here’s the true meaning behind feminism

Caitlin McCombs, Editorial Editor

Feminism is a hot topic in today’s society that not many people have the full understanding of.

Feminism is a belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.

When most hear the word feminism or feminist, they probably think men haters. However, that is not even close to the real meaning behind the word and belief.

I like to believe that I am a feminist not because I want to surpass men but because I want to be seen and treated like an equal. I don’t want to be told I can’t do something because I am a woman or told that I can’t do something as well as a man.

For example, I play soccer, which is a sport for both males and females. However, men are seen as “better” at the sport.

For indoor soccer, at shoreline, if you choose to play on a coed team, there is certain rules.

If you are a girl and you score a goal it is worth two points and if you are a boy and you score a goal it is worth one point.

This is ridiculous.

We women do not need to be babied just because we are going up against men who are seen as the “stronger” gender.

We are all equal, so if I score a goal, it should be one point, and if a man scores a goal, it’s also one point.

Feminism was first introduced to America at the Women’s Conference held in Seneca Falls, New York, in 1848.

Ever since then, there have been multiple marches, speeches, and laws passed for the equality of sexes; however, we still aren’t fully there.

Women still have far to go, and we will not stop speaking till we are heard.

Women aren’t only spreading their words through marches and speeches; a show on the Disney Channel, Liv and Maddie, is now expressing this hot topic in their show.

They show that women are seen as objects, which is wrong. In one episode, the main character (Liv Rooney played by Dove Cameron) states, “You can’t just go around rating girls like we’re objects. I feel like everywhere I turn these days someone’s telling girls who we’re supposed to be.”

She is completely correct. Women can’t even walk out the door without being judged on what they wear or what they look like.

We are constantly told who we should be and who we should not be.

However, this isn’t the only way we are expressing our feminist belief. Another way we are speaking our rights is in songs for example the song “Most Girls” by Hailee Steinfeld.

In the song she says, “Most girls are smart and strong and beautiful most girls, work hard, go far, we are unstoppable most girls, our fight to make every day.”

She is simply explaining that no matter the labels all women are given we’re smart, strong, beautiful, and hardworking.

No women should be ashamed of who they are because we are not what people say, we define ourselves.

I am a feminist, and I am not ashamed of it.

If one truly believes that men and women are seen and treated as equals in our time, then I don’t know what to tell that person except that feminist, both boys and girls, will change one’s mind.

It is clear that we are all not equal, and something needs to change because that isn’t right. We need to teach children that women aren’t the “weaker” gender.

For example, in Dove’s commercial, Like a Girl, women and men were asked what it’s like to run or throw like a girl.

Many would make a wimpy throw, or run slow while flopping their arms.

Women were guilty of this as well. The saying “like a girl” has become an insult because everyone sees it as a weakness.

In the commercial, a woman says, “Yes, I kick like a girl, and I swim like a girl, and I walk like a girl, and I wake up in the morning like a girl because I am a girl, and that is not something I should be ashamed of.”

She is saying that women and men are equal; there is no difference.

We are proud to throw and run like a girl because when we do it, we use all of our strength and do it to the best of our ability.

Most people today do not fully understand the meaning of feminism. Everyone jumps to the conclusion that we want to have more power than men and that we dislike men.

Hopefully after reading this story you can understand that feminists are people who believe in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.

Feminists want equality, not superiority.