Teachers view on homework

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers view on homework

(Photo by Isaac Varela)

(Photo by Isaac Varela)

(Photo by Isaac Varela)

(Photo by Isaac Varela)

Madeline Eckerman, Center Section Editor

When a visitor walks into a high school, without a doubt, she will hear students complaining about the homework from one class or the after-school projects from another.

Are all the student complaints about homework justified, or does homework have benefits that not all students are aware of?

“Homework is beneficial because practice makes improvement, and the more a student practices a concept the more likely they are to own it,” English teacher Roxanne Schaner said. “When the homework is to finish an assignment from class, it is beneficial because students need to finish it to understand the rest of the unit.”

Teachers say homework provides extra practice on a concept or skill that students otherwise would not practice on their own.

“Students don’t necessarily practice on their own, so they wouldn’t reach fullest improvement,” Schaner said.

This extra practice helps strengthen a student’s understanding of a concept which can help students be more successful in the long run on assessments.

“Benefits of homework include many tangible results such as higher test scores and a deeper understanding of the content,” social studies teacher Shannon Conrad said.

Almost all students have complained about the amount of homework they have, but it is very rare for students to speak on the fact that although homework usually isn’t enjoyable, it is proven to be beneficial for students in the long run.

A study by a team of scientists at Duke University put students with no homework up again students with homework and had them take the same test. In this study, 69 percent of the students who were doing homework performed better than the students with nothing.

Homework can also be a task that forces students to learn other life skills, such as responsibility and time management.
Conrad said, “There are also a lot of intangible results such as acquiring time management skills, learning to set priorities, problem solving, developing student habits and learning to stay on task which is becoming increasing difficult with technology.”

The life skills students learn while budgeting time for their after-school activities and homework are skills that set students up for success in the real world.

Many teachers also say the homework students receive is often to complete assignments that were worked on in class. In which case, completing those assignments is necessary for students to grasp the full concept that is being taught.

“When the homework is to finish an assignment from class, it is beneficial because students need to finish it to understand the rest of the unit,” Schaner said.

For many AP classes, the amount of curriculum tends to be more than that of a regular call, and this can make time a problem for those classes

“For AP students, I feel like (homework) is a necessity,” Conrad said. “There is not enough time in the day to teach all the content and skills needed to do well on the AP exam. Students have to practice at home.”

However, is all assigned homework beneficial, or are students responsible for more work after school than what is really necessary?

Conrad said, “I think students are doing way too much homework.”

Many busy students who struggle with keeping up with the homework load tend to be the students who take on challenging classes on top of different after school activities. Advanced classes and extracurriculars can be a difficult thing for students to balance, especially the excessive amounts of homework that comes with many Honors and AP classes.

“Way too many students are taking on (the challenge of multiple AP’s, extracurriculars, and a job) and have way too much homework and not enough sleep as a result,” Conrad said.

The balancing act between homework, extracurriculars, a job, family, and sleep is a tough task which is almost impossible to maintain. Students complain this balancing act would be a much more feasible task if the amount of homework was cut, but is that really a good idea?

Even though homework can make balancing all other aspects of life much more difficult, homework is also something that help set students up for success down the road, and many people would argue a little hard work now is well worth it if it means a bright and successful future.