One night in the life of a teen: balancing act with sports, school

Madeline Eckerman

Madeline Eckerman

Madeline Eckerman, Center Section Editor

Busyness is not an unfamiliar concept to me. Busyness (being busy) seems to take over my life and cause it to constantly be moving at the speed of light; therefore, I feel like I am always busy.

That being said, there are instances when I probably commit myself to more things than I have time for, and when that happens, it can lead to some long days and even longer nights.

I remember one Thursday and Friday in particular that dragged on. Walking out to cross country practice that Thursday afternoon, I knew I was in for a long 48 hours. That afternoon, I would go from high school cross country practice to soccer practice and not get home until close to 9 o’clock.

That may not seem too terrible, but once I returned home, my night was far from over. I had hours of homework assignments and studying in store for that night.

I thought ahead to the AP Language vocabulary test, the AP Chemistry unit test, and the AP World vocabulary quizzes I had waiting for me at school the next day, and I was worried about how I would cram it all into one night.

I sat down at the kitchen table, took out my backpack, and stared at the textbooks, binders, and notebooks stacked in front of me. Opening my AP Language grammar packet, I began a night of homework that seemed to never end.

The hours ticked by from 11 p.m. to midnight to 1 a.m., and with each passing hour, my brain seemed to get more tired and my eyes more heavy. As time was closing in on 2 a.m., my homework pile was dwindling but not yet finished, so I opened my AP Chemistry review packet and went to work.

However, I did not make it far into the packet until my exhaustion took over, and I drifted into sleep where I was, at the kitchen table, mid Chemistry packet.

Hours later, I woke up and lifted my head off of my packet and checked the time; it was 4:30 a.m.

In less than an hour and a half, I was supposed to be at the high school to volunteer for the NHS blood drive.

With that on my mind, I went to work to attempt and finish the last of my homework before I had to get ready for school.

For the next hour, I crammed as much school into that time as I could. With 30 minutes till I had to leave, I packed up my homework and prepared for school.

By the time I left my house at 5:45 a.m., my brain felt like mush and my body felt like a noodle with no strength left. I knew that long night of homework would have its consequences today.

I went through my day just trying to keep my eyes open and trying to keep my brain from shutting down.

That was not my first nor my last busy night. Long days leading to long nights is something that I have become familiar with as my life has become busier throughout the years. The amount of homework and extracurriculars has only increased since I was younger, and I don’t see that pattern breaking anytime soon.

Being involved in many things, I can experience and enjoy a lot more about life; however, it comes with the price of little free time and some very long nights.