Holman family is heavily involved with scouts

The Holman Family is heavily involved in Girl Scouts & Boy Scouts.(Courtesy Photo)

Kali Jend, Feature Editor

“Help people at all times, and to live by The Girl Scout Law.”

These are the words that junior Kaylee Holman, freshman Kendra Holman and their family live by because their parents hope to raise their children with confidence, courage and character.

Kaylee and Kendra are part of Girl Scouts, their younger sister Koryn is also a Girl Scout, and their youngest brother Koen is a Boy Scout. Additionally, their mom Deanna is the leader of three Girl Scout Troops, and their dad Tim co-leads Koen’s Boy Scout Troop.

Kaylee is now an Ambassador Girl Scout, which is the second-highest ranking, and has been in the program for about 12 years.

“I originally joined Girl Scouts in kindergarten because all of the girls at Lincoln Park were doing it, and it helped me build a friendship with them outside of school,” Kaylee said. “The reason I keep doing Girl Scouts is the fact that I can make the world a better place. I truly feel like I am making a difference when I live by the Girl Scout Law.”

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Kendra has also been involved with Girl Scouts for awhile now.

“I have been a Girl Scout for about 10 years now,” Kendra said. “I originally joined because Kaylee started two years before me. I have continued to do it because it is fun, and we have a trip to Europe coming up soon.”
Kendra also said that being a Girl Scout is a positive experience filled with many benefits.

“I have formed friendships in Girl Scouts that I don’t think I would have developed otherwise,” Kendra said.
“I feel like Girl Scouts gives me advantages like skills that other girls my age might not have or ever learn.”
Not only has Girl Scouts helped the Holman girls become better people, but through scouting, their family connection has grown closer.

“I think scouts helps us reinforce the values we have for our own children and extend that to other children too,” their mother said. “I am not directly connected to the Boy Scouts, but I do believe they are reinforcing the values we have for our children as well.”

Deanna has always had a special connection with Girl Scouts, leading back to her childhood.

“I was a Girl Scout for a few years in elementary school” Deanna said.“Although, it was a short few years of scouting for me, my Brownie leader came to my mother’s funeral even though I had not seen her since I graduated from high school. That made a big impact on me.”

Deanna said she appreciates the opportunity she gets to lead not only her daughters but other girls and make a lasting impact on their lives.

Deanna said, “it was not a lifelong ambition but rather a desire to see girls have access to an organization I feel provides wonderful opportunities to learn and grow that you really can’t get from sports or some of the other clubs and activities kids can be involved with.”

When their father Tim was younger, he was a part of Cadets, similar to Scouts, but through the Reformed Church of America (RCA). Just like his father, Tim wanted to be able to have a connection with his son.

“I want to make sure I could support the Cub Scouts Den leader if needed; I’m an assistant leader,” Tim said. “My father also was a leader in Cadets, and that was nice to have him there with me, so I wanted to have that connection with my son as well.”

Tim and Deanna said they both believe that scouting has not only helped to develop their children but helped to mold their family closer.

“The values and qualities that scouting supports and nurtures within the Scouts closely aligns with our values, so they support each other,” Tim said. “Scouting helps our kids think bigger than themselves or where they live and to think of others around them and the world globally. It just shapes our family with consistent values and that brings us closer together. Also, all the shared activities help us to learn and live together as well to have similar experiences even if we have unique ideas and learning.”