Attending school with a sickness

Paige Judson, Staff Writer

When it comes to having to go to school with an illness, it is a major catch-22. You’re in trouble if you go, and you’re in trouble if you don’t.

School policy states that you can’t have more than seven absences in each class during a trimester, but school policy also states that you should not attend school when you are sick.

This is a major problem when it comes to keeping up in classes.

If a student has more than seven absences in a trimester, then they have to get a C or higher on their final exam to be able to pass the class. That is just passing, meaning that students can not receive their desired grade in the class, therefore lowering their GPA.

This is not a fair policy because this means that some students who are extremely sick and out with something like mono are afraid to stay home and get better because they are worried about their grades.

So instead of staying home and resting, they are either staying home stressing out about grades or at school preventing their bodies from getting better.

This is not fair to students.

Although students at Shores do have amazing counselors who are willing to work with them and their teachers, it does not help prevent the stress and struggle that comes with missing a lot of school.

Due to first hand knowledge, I know that even though my teachers were aware of the fact that I had mono it didn’t really help.

I missed discussions in my AP Government class, but still had to take the quizzes. Granted the quiz was over a reading I could do at home, but I still had a difficult time because the rest of the class had a discussion over the reading and understood the reading at a deeper level of knowledge.

I also missed lessons in my Spanish class, which made it difficult, considering I am an English speaker. It was extremely difficult to get all of the information I needed from the notes online.

I could not hear the examples the teacher gave out. I could not ask the questions I needed to ask. I could not retain the information the same way as when the teacher is there.

No matter how much the teachers try and help by giving out online lessons and homework, it is never the same as when the teacher is right there, explaining it step by step, and answering important questions.

In sum, I would encourage the district to more closely examine its policy. While I understand the need to minimize absences, there are circumstances that should allow for additional accommodations.