Holiday Dance

Back to Article
Back to Article

Holiday Dance

Seniors Mal Meston, Payton Fredericksen, Tyler Warren, Austin Flowers and Emily Batts from Spring Lake pose for a picture during the holiday dance. (Warren Kent III)

Eliana Hardy, Staff Writer

When looking for the perfect dress for a holiday dance, most would expect a girl to go for a traditional holiday color, such as a gorgeous red, but new trends are rising fast.

Girls no longer feel the need to wear “traditional” dresses to holiday events. This was made apparent on Saturday, Dec. 9, at Shores’ annual winter dance. The cafeteria was filled with girls in dresses of all colors: blacks, blues, whites, etc.

Sophomore Kaylin Meyers who wore a navy dress with a floral print said, “Literally, I go to a bunch of stores, try on some dresses, and the dress I like the most, I get. Nothing about the dress really matters to me; I just want something that I feel elegant and beautiful in.”

Style and comfortability trumps, is what most girls are saying. Girls are drawing their own guidelines when it comes to fashion and school dances. The theme of an event shouldn’t impact one’s choice.

Sophomore Diana Zimmer said, “I believe the dance theme shouldn’t 100 percent determine what style of clothing you wear. You don’t have to have a bright red or green dress to fit the holidays. Just a normal dark color would work nicely.”