Sophomores travel to Career Tech Center

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomores travel to Career Tech Center

Sophomore Spencer Klairter looks at a demonstration at the Criminal Justice class.

Malin Peterson, Staff Writer

The Muskegon Area Career Tech Center (MACTC) is a place where education is taken to another level.

High school juniors and seniors in the Muskegon Area are given the opportunity to prepare for college and their career while continuing high school education.

On Friday, Dec. 15, Shores sophomores were able to get a brief experience of the programs that the MACTC offers.

“It helped me decide what I want to do,” sophomore Maddie VanEtten said.

Many students, like VanEtten, went into this field trip not knowing what career path they want to take. On Friday, they were able to get a brief look at three courses that they were interested in. This will enable them to make an educated decision on whether or not MACTC is the place for them.

Sophomore Ellie Hopper said, “I am considering taking a class because I am interested in learning more about Criminal Justice.”

For those who are wanting to take a class at MACTC, this was an opportunity to see how the classes function and what they do.

“The students typically want to be in this class because it is optional… ” said Jen Glombowski, the Environmental and Veterinary Sciences teacher at MACTC.

For students who are not positive whether or not they want to join a MACTC class, they can go to Connect with Tech, which is held at the Muskegon Area Career Tech Center on Jan. 24, 2018 from 5-7 p.m. There, they will be able to ask questions about other courses that they did not get to see during the trip. They can also sign up for a course. Signing up does not confirm that a student is enrolled. The counselors will determine who, out of those that have signed up for a course, will be enrolled in a course.