Interim superintendent retains role through June

O'Brien

O'Brien

Mal Meston, Editor-in-Chief

Following the resignation of Superintendent Greg Helmer on Nov. 13, Bill O’Brien, the district’s director of curriculum/instruction/assessment was named acting superintendent.

At the Dec. 4 school board meeting, O’Brien was given the title of interim superintendent until June 30, 2018.

“(This was done) to ensure that Mona Shores has strong, consistent leadership through the remainder of the school year,” said Stan Miller, the school board president. “The Board and Mr. O’Brien will evaluate the situation in the spring to determine next steps.”

O’Brien said he is willing to do whatever is necessary to help the district through this transition.

“It is the role that Mona Shores needs me to fill at this time, and I will do everything I can to continue to help this

District and the people in it any way I can,” O’Brien said. “We are not defined by any one person, I truly believe that it is what happens every day in the classrooms of Mona Shores that make us what we are. My job, no matter the title, is to support students, staff, and community in any way I can.”

Miller emphasized that although the past few months have been difficult for everyone, Shores is resilient and will be able to put the past behind.

“The Mona Shores community has been terrific through all of this,” Miller said. “People have spoken their minds on all sides of a troubling issue while maintaining civility, and I’ve been constantly reassured by the number of people who care deeply about our District.”

Miller also stressed that bringing stability to the district is important because the board plans to bring a millage to the voters next November.

“Important healing steps are already under way even as we reboot the preparations for a major millage renewal election in November 2018,” Miller said, “and I hope and expect that the community, including students, will be thoroughly engaged in those efforts as we meet at each of our six buildings and separately with stakeholders for the arts and for athletics.”

O’Brien said he has a few things that he is looking forward to brighten the future of Shores.

“The future is incredibly bright for the Mona Shores community,” O’Brien said. “The November 6, 2018, millage renewal is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the community, and this renewal has the potential to set our community up for the next 30 years and beyond.”

O’Brien added that he is ready to move forward and to continue to support the Shores community in anyway that he can to bring the district to a higher level.

“Mona Shores is defined by the great things that happen in the classroom everyday,” he said. “It is because of this that we continue to see incredible things from our students and staff regardless of this situation. As we move forward and continue to support these great things happening at the classroom level, I have no doubt we will continue to be a premier school district.”