Holidays perfect time for competition

Games people play

Many families enjoy playing games, such as Uno, during the holidays. Here, juniors Tommy Newman, Marisa Bacon, Carlie Perdue, Diego Stark, and Shelby Savacool enjoy a quick game in the library. (Photo by Sammie Ladegast)

Sammie Ladegast, Page Editor

During the holiday season, time is usually spent with friends and family.

One of the ways this quality time can be spent is by playing those board games that have been stashed away somewhere in the house.

One common reason board games are typically played by families is because they allow for the competitive nature to peek through.

Freshman Lexy McCann and her family are no exception to this reasoning.

“We’re all very competitive people when it comes to playing board games together,” McCann said. “It’s a ton of fun watching each person try to beat the others to win.”

Trivia board games like Trivial Pursuit and Family Feud are the common McCann family favorites during Christmas and, occasionally, New Year’s Eve.

“My favorite part is how I’ve never lost a game,” McCann said. “I also enjoy our special rule that whoever wins the game gets to open a present of their choice or their stocking that night before Christmas, which adds to the competitiveness of the game, making it even more fun.”

Another reason for breaking out the board games during the holidays, or anytime really, is to spend quality time with family.

Freshman Sahara West said this is her family’s reasoning.

“Each year, we get presents addressed to our family from Santa and, often, it is a new game that we open and end up playing that day,” West said. “We’ve received games like Apples to Apples Kids, Clue Junior and Monopoly Junior.”

The time spent opening, figuring out, and actually playing each new game received is quality time they spend together.

“We play these games mostlyto spend time with one another,” West said, “not to mention the fun we have when we’re together just joking around and laughing constantly.”

This quality time together can even transform into a family tradition, where specific games are played each year, every year.

For freshman Camille Zuidema, this is the case.

“My family and I play the domino game, Spinner, mainly on Christmas and Thanksgiving; though, if my siblings are home from college, we might play it then, too,” Zuidema said. “Over the past few years, it has become kind of a tradition and something we expect to do each year.”

However, not all families these days get together during the holidays to play games, and sophomore Libby Knoll’s family is one of them.

“My family is usually way too busy and doesn’t have enough time to play games during the holidays,” Knoll said. “Instead, I play video games by myself or try to hang out with friends.”

Knoll said, however, that she does wish her family took the time to play games together because “then we’d be like a normal family and actually have time for one another.”

Mostly, games are played to just have fun surrounded by those you love. Some families even make up their own games with their own special rules to amp the fun level up even more.

Freshman Lucas Grevious and his family have created their own fun game to play during the holiday season.

“Everybody in my family buys four things from the dollar store, or any kind of gift they want, wrap them and then pile them in the middle of the playing room,” Grevious said. “You have a pair of dice, and you must roll doubles to pick a gift from the pile. You keep playing until all the gifts are gone.”

He said his family not only enjoys purchasing these fun gifts, which can be anything from plungers to lotto tickets, but they also enjoy themselves while playing the game, too.

“We play this game because it is absolutely hilarious and ridiculously fun,” Grevious said. “Everybody laughs and has a good time together, even when we open our gifts and see the crazy items we receive.”