Lady Bird should fly away with best picture

Emma Nelson, Entertainment Page Editor

The early 2000s were anything but conventional. Chokers, Justin Timberlake’s fresh solo career, and frosted lip gloss shaped both the beginning of the 21st century and the Golden Globe winning film Lady Bird.

This coming-of-age film outlines Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson’s senior year of high school in Sacramento, Calif., from the fall of 2002 to the spring of 2003.

Audience members are given snapshots into an unconventional teenager’s final year at home: her first love, heartbreak, a rocky mother-daughter relationship, and moving from familiar life to college.

The directorial debut of Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird hits home to protective parents, culture-hungry teenagers, and everyone in between.

Lady Bird, played by Saoirse Ronan, is the fiercest character to come across theaters since Bridget Jones in Bridget Jones’s Diary. She is unafraid of the future and consistently surprises everyone around her (jumping out of a moving car, getting accepted into a decent college, etc).

Her tenacity and will to sprint outside of her comfort zone spark a great love and appreciation for Lady Bird. Like many teenagers, Lady Bird is on a roller coaster of emotions.

Audiences see her lows and heartbreak (crying to Dave Matthews Band’s “Crash Into Me”), her friendships (ditching her Prom date to go with her best friend), and her triumphs (fulfilling her dream of moving from California to New York).

Gerwig created a character with the dreams that everyone has but with the heart everyone wishes for.

In some ways, Lady Bird is a love story between a mother and daughter. The mother-daughter dynamic is one that is often overlooked in film and expected, not appreciated, in life.

Laurie Metcalf (in her most forceful role since the TV show Roseanne) brings the role of mother and provider to an entirely new level. Lady Bird’s mother, Marion, is just as hard-headed as she is.

The two consistently battle each other for understanding, dominance, and acceptance. Lady Bird’s falling out with Marion is a circumstance that both parents and children can relate to.

The constant tug-of-war between them eventually halts as Lady Bird understands all her mother sacrificed to get her to New York, and she finally says a simple “thank you.”

The complete aesthetic of Lady Bird is dynamic and straight out of 2002.

The director’s choice of music was a critical aspect to the film. Alanis Morissette, Justin Timberlake, and Dave Matthews Band are all featured in Lady Bird’s soundtrack to her final year in Sacramento.

Creating the early 2000s is something that takes intricate detailing of clothing, jargon, and places. From her reddish-pink dyed hair to the posters on Lady Bird’s wall, this film is completely cloaked in an aura of teenage angst that categorizes the beginning of the 21st century.

The clarity of the cinematography takes more than a camera but also the focus and dedication of a screenwriter and director found in Gerwig.

It is not everyday that a low-budget film exceeds the box office and has talk of imminent Academy Awards, but when one does it is powerful and leaves an impression on everyone who sees it.

Lady Bird is sure to sweep the Oscars in multiple categories due to the extreme artistry of Gerwig’s imagination and dedication to authenticity.