All in a day’s work

Students juggle work and school

Back to Article
Back to Article

All in a day’s work

Many students at Shores have jobs. Here, Alexis Gerstenfeld is working at Subway, where she washes dishes and makes sandwiches. (Photo by Sammie Ladegast)

Sammie Ladegast, Feature Page Editor

According to a U.S. census, roughly 1 in 4 high school students aged 16 and older have a job.

Juggling the workload that school throws at students with the added responsibilities of having a job isn’t always a walk in the park.

Senior Kaitlyn Mouw, who works at Cinema Carousel, would know a thing or two about that.

Despite her familiarity with having to balance her work schedule, which includes selling tickets, working at the concessions, and cleaning theaters, with her schoolwork, Mouw said it can sometimes still be a struggle to manage her time.

“It can be kind of difficult to juggle my school work with my job because I go to school, and then from 5-10:30, I am working,” she said. “This can impact me as a student because, some days, I have little to no time to do homework, study, and get to bed at a decent time.”

Positives can still arise from being employed; however, the occasional rude customer and the late nights can always be a hassle and prove to ruin someone’s day.

“My favorite part about working at the Cinema is getting to work with my coworkers, who are basically my second family,” Mouw said. “And the fact that having a job means I get money, which I use to pay for my car insurance and phone.”

However, depending on the place of employment, some may have it easier than others.

Junior Alexis Gerstenfeld is a perfect example.

“I got a job at Subway about two months ago to pay for my car insurance and save up money to be able to do fun things,” Gerstenfeld said. “I mostly make sandwiches and clean dishes.”

Working mainly on weekends, she said, prevents her from being too overwhelmed with her responsibilities as a student and employee.

“I work mostly on weekends in the morning, so I haven’t had a problem juggling school and my job,” Gerstenfeld said. “It has, however, helped me learn to finish assignments as soon as possible in case I get asked to cover for a coworker on a weekday.”

Jobs can not only provide students with an income, but can also provide an experience to gain important life skills.

“Having a job has really taught me a lot about responsibility,” Gerstenfeld said. “I always check my schedule to see when I’m working, and when

I have plans, I make sure I call in ahead of time or find someone to cover my shift. Before getting a job, I wouldn’t have bothered to check my schedule; however, now I check it everyday, which has also helped me a lot with keeping up with homework.”