Living Like Royalty

Junior spends day pretending to be queen

Column by Mieke Hart

Column by Mieke Hart

Column by Mieke Hart

Mieke Hart, Feature Page Editor

Who wouldn’t want to live the luxurious life of royalty? What’s better than being wealthy and famous as a result of bloodline rather than having an actual talent or occupation by which you have to tirelessly work to get to your position?

With the May royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle drawing near, I started to think about what it would be like to be a queen.

At 91 years old, Queen Elizabeth II’s job is nearly obsolete under England’s constitution, but the Brits love their royals. So much so, the monarch is above the law, and the family still holds a great influence over the British people.

From the public perspective, the Queen lives a relatively highfalutin, undemanding, and lavish lifestyle.

Is this truly how the Queen lives? What does this lifestyle entail? How does Queen Elizabeth II live her day-to-day life?

Obviously, the only way to know how the Queen actually lives is to live just like her, and that is just what I did. So on Jan. 17, I dubbed myself “Queen for a Day.”

The Quest Begins:

Each morning, the Queen wakes up to the delightful sound from everyone’s favorite instrument, the bagpipes.

So, the night before my day as a royal, I set my alarm to play bagpipes. At 6 a.m., I was promptly awakened by the abrasive, though enchanting, music of the bagpipes. Who knew waking up could be so fun?

After a close examination of the Queen’s typical attire, I put on a navy blue dress, a lighter blue cardigan (for modesty), white heels, and to top it all off, a crown printed off the Internet. This ensemble was a far cry from my normal attire of a sweatshirt and jeans. Though more than five times my age, the Queen has a far higher pain tolerance than I; I am unable to fathom how she wears heels for such long periods of time.

The Queen’s typical breakfast is tea, cereal, and fresh fruit. It was not exactly the grand breakfast I believed the Queen to have each morning, but it was quite convenient. I did, however, crave my typical breakfast of Cheerios in a bag that I eat during first hour.

The Daily Grind

Each day, the Queen goes for a nature walk; and since I typically walk to school, I used the opportunity to do the same. I walked through the woods on the east side of the school and tried to take in the beauty.

However, it was quite challenging in heels, a dress, and 20-degree weather.

After about a minute, I sprinted to school, faster than the actual Queen has run in a very long time. Remember, she is nine decades old.

One of the Queen’s daily duties is to attend meetings with other officials. I considered this to be school.

Unlike many students who dislike school, I enjoy learning; however, I am often distracted and reprimanded for being “too social.” This probably is against royal protocol, but I think the Queen would understand that you have to do what you have to do to get through the school day.

Each day, the Queen attends ceremonies and participates in other activities; one of these is the knighting ceremony.
Armies of knights no longer exist in England, but a ceremonial title is given to those who have done something outstanding. Equipped with a yardstick, I knighted junior Raylynn Delo in science teacher Chad Martin’s class. Her accomplishment? Surviving chemistry.

The After Hours

The Queen’s favorite activity is to take her corgis on walks. I don’t have corgis, but I do have a dog; and if the Queen likes to walk her dogs, I like to walk my dog. Trying to walk my dog in below freezing temperatures in my royal clothing proved to be far more challenging than I had expected. I’ll leave that job to the royal dog-walkers.

At five o’clock each day, the Queen indulges in tea and scones. I was not able to find scones, but I had some leftover Christmas cookies, so those had to do. As for the tea, it was horrendous. I have never cared for tea, and I do not intend to acquire the taste. I did learn that royal tea etiquette does not permit “pinkies up” while consuming tea as it is too pretentious – SpongeBob has us all doing it incorrectly.

As for supper, I treated myself to a steak. The Queen usually eats venison or other game (animals hunted for sport) and fish; however, I do not eat any of those meats due to “traumatic” events in my past. I attempted to enjoy my steak in solitude as the Queen does every night; however, I struggle to refrain from conversation for an extended period of time, so my solo dinner did not last long.

To end my day, I watched an episode of Downton Abbey, the Queen’s favorite show. Who would’ve thought the Queen enjoys the same show as the commoners? To me, it seemed below her, but I’m not one to judge a woman and her obsessions, especially when it’s the Queen. After my episode ended, it was time for bed.

The Final Thoughts

Overall, my day didn’t really differ but rather the specific details of my activities were altered.

The most significant change in my day-to-day life was the amount of attention I gained in the hallways. From my clear lack of experience in wearing heels to my flamboyant crown, I learned what it was like to be famous and to not be able to do even simple tasks without attracting attention.

Additionally, even though the Queen has access to luxuries I will most likely never even have knowledge of, she still has duties that need to be carried out like every other human being.

Is the lifestyle all that it is perceived to be? No, the Queen does more than dressing nicely and spending time with her family. Would I do something like this again? Probably.