Hockey shows to be one of the most expensive high school sports

Senior+Noah+Bathrick+is+pictured+skating+mid+game+during+varsity+game+versus+Grand+Rapids+Christian+High+School.+%28Photo+by+Emma+Taylor%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Noah Bathrick is pictured skating mid game during varsity game versus Grand Rapids Christian High School. (Photo by Emma Taylor)

Taylor Dew, Sports Page Editor

There has been a wonder on how the school can afford a hockey team considering how expensive everything is.

But how much does the school actually pay for it and how much do the players pay?

“The school supplies us with helmets, gloves, hockey socks, and shells for the hockey pants, otherwise we pay for everything else ourselves,” senior Caleb Boes said. “For what we have to pay, the prices vary depending on whether you have high or low quality equipment.”

The players have to pay for their stick, skates, shin guards, pants, neck guard, mouth guard, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey pants, and jock/cup.

The price of each piece of equipment are above and the total for all of it can range from $690 to $2,560.
As much as that is, goalies typically have to pay even more, considering they have to pay for different and more equipment.

For all the equipment that the goalie has to pay for can cost anywhere from $2,665 to $5,150.

While players pay for all of their equipment, the school still has to pay for everything else.

Shores spends approximately $20,000 a year, rendering it one of the most expensive sports to play at Shores.

“The school pays for a head varsity coach and an assistant coach, both of which are negotiated positions just like every other sport,” Athletic Director Ryan Portenga said. “We also pay for all district busing. There are dates that the hockey program elects to use charter busing just like other programs do as well.”

Shores also covers all expenses associated with any post-season state tournament events as well.

“We also pay for an announcer for all the games, and we give them a check for $5,000 each year toward ice time,” Portenga said. “Basically, it is a cost of just under $20,000 that the school chips in toward hockey.”