Sport Specialiazation

Junior specializes in baseball year-round

Knowing that it will help him to be his best junior Conner Vallie specializes in baseball. Vallie said that he focuses on baseball in order to give him the advantage over those who play multiple sports. (Courtesy Photo)

Paige Judson, Sports Page Editor

Sometimes to be the best you can be at something, you have to put all of your focus into that one thing.

Junior Conner Vallie, whose passion is baseball, gets that better than most.

“You can’t be the best you can be if you are playing other sports,” Vallie said.

Whether it is playing or training, Vallie said his schedule is always full of baseball. In addition to playing on a summer team and the high school team, Vallie said he lifts 6-7 times a week and has velocity training 5-6 times a week.

He said he believes that putting all of his focus into one sport will help him be the best he can be.

Vallie added that he believes in the 10,000-hour rule, which was coined by popular psychology writer Malcolm Gladwell. The principle holds that 10,000 hours of deliberate practice are needed to be world-class in any field.

While some people discount the 10,000-hour rule, Vallie has used his focus on baseball to make the Team USA national team, which is strict about recruiting one-sport athletes who put their whole heart into the sport.

“I was on Team USA for our region, and that team focuses on one-sport athletes because they want you to be the best you can be,” Vallie said. “I think that focusing on one sport is the best thing to do if you want to be the best you can be.”