Multiple Sports

Senior female excels in three varsity sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Multiple Sports

While many specialize in one, sport senior Ryleigh Wehler excels at three sports, including volleyball, basketball, and softball. (Softball photo by Isaac Varela, basketball by Christian Fletcher and volleyball by Isaac Varela)

Paige Judson, Sports Paige Editor

When it comes to juggling all of the long practices and late games that come with playing three varsity sports, senior Ryleigh Wehler has it figured out.

“Playing three sports has given me a lot of opportunities to grow as a person and also as an athlete,” said Wehler, who recently signed with Aquinas College to play basketball. “I don’t think I would be where I am today if I didn’t play three sports.”

Wehler, who plays volleyball, basketball and softball, said she is dedicated to all three of her crafts striving to be the best she can be at all three sports.

“It’s easy to stay in shape throughout the year,” Wehler said.

Though playing three sports definitely helps physically, there are some challenges.

“Sometimes it is hard to always have a sport after school, especially during exam week when practices run long,” Wehler said.

Though Wehler said she does see playing three sports as difficult, she has also gotten feedback telling her that it is probably the best thing for her.

“The Aquinas basketball coach told me that he thought it was super cool that I was able to be on varsity for three years of my high school career and excel at all three of them,” she said. “He told me that it makes me a better athlete and less likely to get injured.”