From Hawaii to Honduras

Helping others inspires senior’s future

Back to Article
Back to Article

From Hawaii to Honduras

Senior Mal Meston gives one of the five soccer balls she brought to Honduras to a family of seven.

Mal Meston, Editor-in-Chief

Going back to Honduras was a dream of mine since I first stepped foot in the country last February.

Last year and this year, I went to Honduras with a group of Rotarians. I had the ability to go both years through the InterAct Club at Shores, which is the high school version of Rotary.

Junior Hannah Tyler and I were the only two Shores students to go this year.

Our goal this year was to build four latrines and install 25 water filters into people’s homes who live within the mountains of Comayagua. We successfully accomplished this goal within five days.

It was such an amazing experience once again. The culture shock was so incredible to experience first hand.

I met a woman who was a single mom raising an 8-year-old boy. She worked eight-to-nine hours a day only making $4 a day picking crops from a farm.

This astonished me because I had never seen anything like this. I could never even imagine living in such poverty, and yet, it is so normal to the Honduran people.

One day, my dream is to join the Peace Corps and help those less fortunate than me.

Helping the Hondurans was once again the greatest time of my life.
I would do anything to go back and create a difference within these people’s lives in any possible way that I can.