Psychology teacher’s family can’t get enough of Disney

One of the Disney rides that psychology teacher Heather Hall (front left) enjoys is Space Mountain. Enjoying this trip with her are her three children – John, a sophomore (back left); Natalie (back right) and Michael (front right). (Courtesy Photo)

Taylor Dew, Feature Page Editor

If anyone knows about Disney, it would be psychology teacher Heather Hall.

Having been to Disneyland in California and all of the theme parks inside of Disney World (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Disney’s Blizzard Beach, and Disney’s Boardwalk Resort) in Florida, Hall has definitely had her fair share at the parks.

Between Disneyland and Disney World, Hall said she definitely prefers Disney World. And out of the six theme parks, she said she would choose Epcot.

“I love Epcot,” said Hall, whose family, which uses the Disney Vacation Club, has averaged one trip a year to Disney World since 1994. “I like the countries, and they have foods from all of the different countries. You can experience a little bit from multiple countries.”
Epcot, which is often referred to as a “permanent world’s fair,” is divided into two sections: Future World, made up of eight pavilions; and

World Showcase, themed to 11 world nations.

“I like the smell (at Epcot) because they have a lot of flowers and things, and they just decorate it so nice, and I find it the most peaceful of all of the theme parks,” Hall said.

One of Hall’s favorite rides, Soarin’, is at Epcot.

“Soarin’ brings you up to where you feel like you’re paragliding, and you see this huge screen that wraps around you, and they bring in all of these different sensory things where you can smell and see different things,” she said. “For example, you fly over an orange tree orchard and stuff so you can smell the oranges. You sometimes get a breeze with different things. I just really like it.”

Disney does not only have soothing rides, they also have thrilling ones for the thrill seekers.

Space Mountain is a space-themed indoor roller coaster attraction located at five of the six Magic Kingdom-style Disney Parks.

“If you want like a thrill ride, Space Mountain is my favorite thrill ride. But it tends to have a long wait, so I don’t go very often,” Hall said.
Many believe that the Disney Parks are superior to all other amusement parks, and Hall has one specific memory that made Disney stand out over all others.

“Whenever someone asks me something about Disney World, I am always brought back to the first time that my parents brought us and I was a senior in college, and that’s when things kind of started,” she said. “I mean, I had been there when I was a little kid, but I don’t remember a lot from that.

“But I just remember being 22 years old and walking down Main Street of Magic Kingdom at 6:00 in the morning because we got the early magical hours and so the park opened early for the people who were staying on property. The streets were still wet from cleaning them, and it’s breakfast time, so they pump out smells. We have this video of me that my dad recorded, and I just turned around and I said, ‘I have never been so happy in my whole life!’ and I just loved it.”