Lacrosse becomes the new varsity sport for both genders

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls’ coach Aren Stout played and coached at Spring Lake High School.

Paige Judson, Sports Page Editor

Lacrosse has been a discussion in the Shores community for about six years, and after all of that time, the teams are finally coming together.

Athletic director Ryan Portenga said the coaches are in place, a board is set to take care of the important things, and students from four schools, Shores, Fruitport, Western Michigan Christian, and Muskegon Catholic, are ready to participate.

The new program will be called Southside Lacrosse, even though Shores will be the home school, because all of the teams in the co-op are from the south side of Muskegon Lake.

The new girls head coach is Aren Stout, who played at Spring Lake for five years, some of the years at the high school and some at the middle school, at the attack position which is a forward position which takes the most amount of stick skill to be able to maneuver around the field.

He has also coached at the middle school at Spring Lake.

“We always aimed to just have fun; although last year, we had an undefeated regular season,” Stout said, “This year, I’m just happy to be able to show new people the sport. It’s lots of fun, and I think it will grow to be a big sport at Shores.”

The boys team is also bringing in a new face, head coach Richard Glinski, to Shores.

Glinski played lacrosse in the suburbs of Detroit for 25 years, in both middle school and high school, then in college at Northwood University, and he now plays on an adult team called Grand River out of Grand Rapids.

In his first years of coaching, he said he coached at the defense position, but when he moved to the west side of the state, he started the program at Reeths-puffer. Glinski said he is looking forward to this year as a coach of a new team.

Glinski said, “It’s a building year. Lots of new kids and a lot of new territory. The kids that have been to open gyms showed up never holding a stick and now can catch and throw.”

Both coaches said they are excited about being able to start a new team. They are excited about being able to teach students a game they love.

They know it is going to be hard work, on both the coach and players end, but they have faith and believe that it can be done. Glinski said, “If we are slightly competitive this year, I will be happy. I don’t expect many wins, but I expect improvements.”