Cheer finishes in top 4 for second straight year

Senior+Hailey+Diffell%2C+junior+Erica+Dakin%2C+senior+Maura+Wilcox%2C+senior+Krissy+VanGelderen+and+sophomore+Logan+Potts+helped+led+the+Sailors+to+fourth+place+in+the+state+after+winning+City%2C+Districts+and+Regionals.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Hailey Diffell, junior Erica Dakin, senior Maura Wilcox, senior Krissy VanGelderen and sophomore Logan Potts helped led the Sailors to fourth place in the state after winning City, Districts and Regionals.

Megan Swanker, Sports Page Editor

Shores cheer ended its season with a fourth-place finish at the state championship meet on March 3 at the Deltaplex in Grand Rapids.

The team finished third last year, but fell one point behind Kenowa Hills this year, 781-780. Gibraltar Carlson won the state title with 791.98 points.

“Being so close with Kenowa all season in terms of points fueled the fire for both teams,” coach Amanda Heethuis said. “Each week, we knew we would face one another again, and it made the girls fight even harder.”

For senior Maura Wilcox, knowing it was her last time competing was difficult.

“(The loss) was definitely sad, but I was more upset that the season was over,” Wilcox said. “(Getting fourth place) was disappointing because we have been beating teams consistently, but it was still a good end to the season.”

Sophomore Maddie Mills was also disappointed about the season ending but said she remains proud of the success they had all year.

“I was a little disappointed because we beat Kenowa for most of the season,” Mills said. “(However), we scored a lot higher than we usually do.”
Prior to the state finals, the cheer team had other successes.

On Feb. 17, Shores claimed a District title for the second year in a row, defeating Kenowa Hills by two points, 786-784. The Sailors also set a school record for their third-round performance.

On Feb. 21, the Sailors maintained their City title for the ninth year in a row. Even a hamstring injury to junior Olivia Curtice could not keep the team from claiming their title.

“In warmup for round 3, one of our flyers (Curtice) injured her hamstring, causing us to have to put in a freshman we had just pulled up to varsity a few days before,” Heethuis said. “That’s why we have alternates; that’s why we condition as much as we do and run the routine as many times as we do. They ended up going out there and hitting every stunt, which made that City title even more special.”

Finally, Shores also won the Regional meet for the second time in school history on Feb. 24. The victory was by six points over Kenowa Hills.

“We are incredibly thankful for all of the hard work the girls have put in over the years to make these titles possible,” Heethuis said. “It’s a pretty rare thing for a team to win back-to- back district and regional titles, and we’re so proud.”

Heethuis said she is grateful to have been around such an enjoyable team for this past season. Graduating from the team this year are nine seniors whose personalities will be irreplaceable, she added.

“Going to practice never felt like a burden; it always felt like an escape from the world around us,” Heethuis said. “Our nine seniors are something special. They have given everything they can to set us up for success in the future without them.”